Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mhdganji
Contributor II

Detailed log of configuration changes

Hi,

I need a simple way or at least the easiest way :) to find the details of configuration changes. Just knowing John changed this rule is not enough. I need details: John added this object to source, removed that destination, changed the protocol and so on. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, desired is to see this on memory and system events log not on syslog messages forwarded to a log server.

Regards,

M. Ganji, Network & Security Expert.
1 Solution
jintrah_FTNT

Hi,

On GUI also, it should be seen. 

Please check once you hover the mouse over cfgattr fields.

Best regards, 

Jin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

This info is already available from the system event logs,

date=2022-04-28 time=07:57:33 eventtime=1651125453584236132 tz="+0200" logid="0100044547" type="event" subtype="system" level="information" vd="root" logdesc="Object attribute configured" user="john" ui="GUI(10.5.63.254)" action="Edit" cfgtid=12714067 cfgpath="firewall.policy" cfgobj="7" cfgattr="uuid[c2b1795e-c488-51ec-ee70-f00a4eaee6a9]srcaddr[all->IPSec_RICH_172.24.216.50]" msg="Edit firewall.policy 7"

Here you can see john edited firewall rule 7 and changed the source address from 'all' to an address object "IPSec_RICH_172.24.216.50".

Best regards,

Jin

mhdganji

In the system events in GUI, I cannot find these details. Should I enable verbose or detailed logging somewhere or in any way these logs are only available in CLI or syslog messages?

jintrah_FTNT

Hi,

On GUI also, it should be seen. 

Please check once you hover the mouse over cfgattr fields.

Best regards, 

Jin

lunhas2k4

Hi @jintrah_FTNT , what version of the FortiOS is this available on. I am running 6.4.6 and don't find this field on the log. 

Carlitos loves firewalls

NSE4 (5.4,6.0)

NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0)

NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)

Carlitos loves firewalls NSE4 (5.4,6.0) NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0) NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)
jintrah_FTNT

Hi,

I just checked on version 6.4.6 by creating a testobject and I could see the fields in the system event logs.

jintrah_FTNT_0-1663662815088.png

best regards,

Jin

Yurisk
Valued Contributor

As the post above mentioned, it is already in the logs, provided you have Log & Report -> Log Settings -> either "All" or "Custom: System activity events" enabled. 

Below is screen shot of such log I didn't change any settings on the FOrtigate - all logs are on default:

ftnt-forums-log.png 

N.B. I know, not helping immediately - but new FortiOS 7.2 has this awesome feature "Audit Trails" , which will eventually fulfill this need :) https://www.linkedin.com/posts/yurislobodyanyuk_fortigate-activity-6924289976046088192-4N9z?utm_sour...

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors