Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
NotMine
Contributor

Default routes and WAN Load Balancing

Hello everyone,

Can someone explain to me why I can't add two default static routes with the destination 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 when there is a default route via a WAN Load Balancing "interface"?

For example, here's my WAN LB configuration:

Here's how the routing table looks like (please disregard the missing gateway):

This is how the new default route should look like:

And here's the error I get when I click OK on the previous screenshot:

This is the system info:

Thank you,

Slavko

NSE 7

All oppinions/statements written here are my own.

NSE 7 All oppinions/statements written here are my own.
2 Solutions
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

slavko wrote:

:) Tried that already. Won't let me. When I send the end, it prints out an error message. That's why I'm here. :)

This is odd.  What happens if you disable the load-balancing interface(s) first and/or load the config into a text editor, add the route, load it back into the fgt. 

I am assuming port10 is your backup link?  If it's not, I would set the dest IP/mask to the network (mask) used on that interface.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Jzhang_FTNT

Wan Load Balance feature designed to load balancing outgoing traffic over its member interfaces per ECMP and load balancing algorithm. so usually a static/default required to configured over wan-load-balance/virtual-wan-link to make ECMP happened. 

If another default route allowed, may mean one more ECMP route added, FGT will face the dilemma of load balancing between Wan Load Balance member interfaces or with the one more interface.

if you just want add one more backup interface, you can put it into wan load balance with different distance or priority setting

I think this is the design idea.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

What does the routing monitor show?  Can you perform "show router static" on the CLI to see what entries are listed?

NotMine
Contributor

Sure, here it is:

And this is the routing table:

Please note that this is a test VM which I'm currently using.

NSE 7

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Try adding the new route via the CLI; if you are able too, I would mark it down as a "bug" or glitch with the GUI or browser compatibly . 

NotMine
Contributor

:) Tried that already. Won't let me. When I send the end, it prints out an error message. That's why I'm here. :)

NSE 7

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

slavko wrote:

This is odd.  What happens if you disable the load-balancing interface(s) first and/or load the config into a text editor, add the route, load it back into the fgt. 

I am assuming port10 is your backup link?  If it's not, I would set the dest IP/mask to the network (mask) used on that interface.

Jzhang_FTNT

Wan Load Balance feature designed to load balancing outgoing traffic over its member interfaces per ECMP and load balancing algorithm. so usually a static/default required to configured over wan-load-balance/virtual-wan-link to make ECMP happened. 

If another default route allowed, may mean one more ECMP route added, FGT will face the dilemma of load balancing between Wan Load Balance member interfaces or with the one more interface.

if you just want add one more backup interface, you can put it into wan load balance with different distance or priority setting

I think this is the design idea.

Silver
New Contributor

Hi,

I got the same error me too while configured a route using device as wan- load balance. But i was already having a default route going out via another connection, while i removed the other default route then i was able to add the route with device wan load balance. But the problem i need the other default route also i have my email etc going out the this connection.

it may be a bug i don't know any solution plz

obfuscated
New Contributor II

I think this routing behaviour is by design.  Looking at the set up you have a bundled virtual link which you then point your default route pointed to.  As the Virtual link knows its gateways it then passes traffic to these gateways based on what kind of load balancing you apply.  You can then use link quality checking to ensure that all is healthy.

I think in the original post instead of 0.0.0.0 in the gateways section of the WAN Link LB you need to have the gateways of the ISP.  The default route then needs to point to 'virtual-wan-link'.  

This probably explains things better then me:-

http://cookbook.fortinet....ernet-connections-520/

Ob

Ali_Jassim

Hello !

[size="4"]I have same problem [&o] with Foritgate 200D OS 5.2.3 !! what is the solution ? [/size]

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors