Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jeff_the_Network_Guy
New Contributor III

Default Action - Pass?

I' m not sure if I am misreading things, but it seems that a lot of " Critical" severity IPS events listed in the " Predefined" tab have a default action of " Pass" . Why is this? Is Fortinet just being overly cautious in terms of usability, or am I missing something?
----------------(-- Jeff
----------------(-- Jeff
4 REPLIES 4
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Maybe those IPS signatures doesn' t apply to a one widely deployed network. If IPS apply to a very specific traffic or software that you don' t have in your network, why enable related signatures?

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Jeff_the_Network_Guy
New Contributor III

I am not talking about enabling. I am referring to the default " Action" parameter. Look up " MS.DirectX.MsVidCtl.ActiveX.Control.Access" for instance. It is the signature for the exploit publicized this week for Direct X exploit that can be used in normal web browsing. The severity level is considered " Critical" , but according to " Predefined" tab, packets utilizing this exploit will be passed by default, unless I specify that the IPS sensor it is enabled in overrides the default action value. My question is, if this exploit is considered " Critical" why isn' t the default action " Drop" ?
----------------(-- Jeff
----------------(-- Jeff
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

you have to tweak and adjust each signature. I think all are set to pass by default. Since fortinet doesn' t know " your" network and systems, the default is to pass.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
AKrause
Contributor

the default action for most signatures is set to pass, because false positives can occur. IPS should not interfere with normal traffic. You have to tune the IPS settings according to your network. Of course this is a time consuming task which is neglected quite often.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors