Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
obika
New Contributor

DUPLICATE IP ISSUE WITH FORTIGATE1000C

Hey Guys. Am having this issue has anyone experienced such before. Once i bring up a vdom on a FG1000C i get a duplicate IP address log on my Cisco (PE) router. Also note that i create vlan both on the inside/outside for clients to separate their services on the switch thereby make the Fortigate interface inside/outside to switch trunk. What could be causing the duplicate IP. I have attached the Cisco router log. Regards Obika CCNA,FCNSA,FCNSP,
System Engineer
System Engineer
7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

My 1st guess is a loop but let' s get more info on your topology are you running nat-routed or transparent mode? Are the subinterfaces built on the fortigate ? if you remove one vlan tag does the problem stll exists?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
obika
New Contributor

Thanks emnoc, Am running on a Nat- mode, The subinterface are built on the fortigate,however the vlan was not created on the fortigate rather on the switch. Find attached the design doc.
System Engineer
System Engineer
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I' m sorry I don' t understand the diagram. Can you provide the sub-interface cfgs for the fortigate? Are you using one port for the inside/outside interfaces? And the port cfg on the 2960S?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
obika
New Contributor

Hi emnoc, find below the config. =========================================== spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst spanning-tree extend system-id ! ! ! vlan 2 name RACK_CENTRE_LAN_TEST ! vlan 9 name RAC_Internet ! vlan 11 name SPORT_BET ! vlan 39 ! vlan 107 name RACK_4TGATE_OUTSIDE ! vlan 108 name SATMANAGE_Mgmt ! vlan 109 name SATMANAGE_VLAN ! vlan 110 name 4Tgate_Test ! vlan 203 name VOIP_INTERNET ! vlan 205 name VOIP_LAN ! vlan 206 name VOIP_LAN_1 ! vlan 318 name Sportbet_4Tgate-insi ! vlan 319 name Sportbet_4tgate_outs ! vlan 901 name Switch_Mgmt_vlan ! ! ! interface Loopback0 no ip address ! interface FastEthernet0/1 description connection to iDirect_Upstream switch for SATMANAGE switchport trunk allowed vlan 108 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/2 ! interface FastEthernet0/3 ! interface FastEthernet0/4 ! interface FastEthernet0/5 ! interface FastEthernet0/6 ! interface FastEthernet0/7 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/8 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/9 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/10 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/11 switchport mode trunk spanning-tree guard root ! interface FastEthernet0/12 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/13 description connection to EdgPE01----Outside switchport trunk allowed vlan 107,109,205,206,319 switchport mode trunk ip arp inspection trust spanning-tree guard root ! interface FastEthernet0/14 description connection to EdgPE01----Inside switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,318 switchport mode trunk ip arp inspection trust speed 100 duplex full spanning-tree guard root ! interface FastEthernet0/15 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/16 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/17 description connection to 4TGATE----Outside switchport trunk allowed vlan 107,109,205,319 switchport mode trunk switchport protected ip arp inspection trust spanning-tree guard root ! interface FastEthernet0/18 description connection to 4TGATE----Inside switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,9,11,108,110,203,318 switchport mode trunk ip arp inspection trust spanning-tree guard root ! interface FastEthernet0/19 description connection to 4Tgate_SW2 ! interface FastEthernet0/20 ! ! !
System Engineer
System Engineer
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay that' s much better, this looks great and not obvious sticks out. I do question why you have " switchport protected " on fas0/17? Also why so many vlans ID? On Fas0/19 what is this connected to . Do you have an cfgs you can share of how you defined the sub-interfaces on the 4-T-gates? And does the duplication of the mac address display the offender mac_address?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
obika
New Contributor

The reason i have so many vlans is that i have several Vdoms on my fortigate 1000C.
System Engineer
System Engineer
obika
New Contributor

Hi emnoc, The issue been resolved now, i found out that there was no connection to my second FGT 1000C from the router, since i have a HA cluster, so whenever a vlan is provisioned on the router it flags it as a duplicate IP. So i simply plugged a cable from the router to the 2nd FGT and its all sorted now Regards Obika
System Engineer
System Engineer
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors