Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Grey
New Contributor

DNS to Internal hosts to a Fortigate D60- is it possible?

Hi,

Sorry in advance if this has been posted before.

But I'm trying to setup my Fortigate D60 as a DHCP server and a DNS server fort my internal hosts, I found some documents (for ex:http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD36650) about this, but I'm a bit confused if this is what I'm after, can you actually setup a Fortigate as a DNS Server for internal hosts, been trying to get my interal Mac and PC hosts to do DNS lookups to the D60, but I fail however I try, I can however do lookups from the CLI of the Fortigate for my internal hosts.

So my question is, can you accomplish the above from a Fortigate D60?

THANKS!

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

Yes, you can create a "private" DNS zone where you can define name/IP pairs of your local hosts. The type should be "recursive" so that, if the queried name is not local, the request is forwarded to the system DNS (which usually is your ISP's NS).

In order to make your local hosts use the FGT as their DNS, you can either configure the host to use the internal IP address of the FGT, or put this info into the DHCP setup and have it distributed with a new address lease.

Both local DNS and DHCP setup are well documented with examples in the FortiOS Handbook. KB articles highlight corner cases, or single aspects, they are not meant to introduce you to the concepts. As the FGT is a powerful and by no means simple machine I recommend spending some time with the basics.

BTW, your model is called "Fortigate 60D" where "60" denotes roughly the performance (20-9x small desktop, 100-800 midrange, 1000 to 5000 high-end) and "D" stands for the 5th generation as Fortinet started the 1st generation without any letter.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Grey
New Contributor

Thanks!! :)

Have gotten it to work, but only on wired computers, when I'm connected wirelessly it won't work, can't figure out why :/, everything else works, icmp / domain lookup to external site, but not domain lookup to the internal fortigate devices while I'm wireless.

I have tried every settings on two different branded wifi access points, no luck.. :\

Grey
New Contributor

Dammit, my fault! Dum misstake, hade wrong DNS settings on Wifi [&:], was tired yesterday and bypassed it, I fell stupid, thanks again for all your help edu_pfau!!!

ede_pfau

Glad I could help, and that you found the last error by yourself, well done.

Profit from the forums, and eventually participate for others needing support!

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors