Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

DNS in a FG-30D?

Pals,

could someone please confirm that a FG-30D running v5.2.3 will forward DNS requests to the provider on the WAN link? I know a 'real' local DNS is deliberately left out but I couldn't find any settings for specifying a DNS relay. My hope is that there is an implicit forward for DNS requests targeted at the FGT.

Anybody using the 30D?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
lunhas2k4
New Contributor II

Hi ede_pfau,

I've installed yesterday 4 FWF30D and 1 today and I am having a funny issue.

Sometimes it forwards the dns requests and some times it doesn't. I am using them at remote clients and I had to use public dns on the host machines on those sites. I would like to use the firewall as my dns server but I am having issues with this feature.

I haven't really helped but that is my experience with this appliances. Would love to get a resolution for this issue.

Be

Carlitos loves firewalls

NSE4 (5.4,6.0)

NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0)

NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)

Carlitos loves firewalls NSE4 (5.4,6.0) NSE5 (Fortimanager 6.0, Fortianalyzer 6.0) NSE7 (Enterprise Firewall 6.0)
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

It should be:

config system dns-server edit <intf_name> set mode {forward-only | non‑recursive | recursive} end

But according to the 30D PDF (pointed out in this thread), it was removed on the smaller units.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Thanks Dave, I should've searched the forums more...but my hope was that they "implicitely" forward DNS requests. That would require a DNS proxy and exactly this was cut out for the smallest units.

Ain't no Fortigate if it's below a 60D.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors