Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lmuir
New Contributor

DNS Server Conditional Forward

Hi, I had a client' s head office go down due to environmental issues and the remote offices could no longer resolve DNS. The client wants the remote office' s PCs to be able to still browse the internet if head office goes down. Can the FGT do conditional forwarding for the AD domain, as in any requests for domain.local forward to DC? If not, any ideas how I could get it to work? You can' t simply add an external DNS server as the second server because of how Windows treats DNS servers. Windows will fail over to the second DNS server but will not fail back until it can' t resolve addresses using the second DNS server.
4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

just an idea: configure a local DNS on the FGT. Specify this as secondary DNS on all hosts. To fail back, simply disable the FGT DNS for a while. as an alternative: use the local FGT DNS as primary, with forwarding to the external (ISP) DNS for all hosts not resolved. This should be more responsive for your local hosts anyway. DNS is not really laid out for failover operation. Some implementations will only try the secondary DNS after 20 seconds timeout on the primary. Then browsing can be trying on your patience.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Can you standup 2xlocal DNS servers that are cache-only with a forwarder to the primary authoritive DNS servers for *.yourdomain@xyz ? This way you can resolve if the headend is down, and even have speedier dns lookups, since the cache only server/forwarder is sitting on the wire locally 7 independent of the firewall. Next question, Does fortigate even support bind type dns-forwarding directly ? ( i guess that what the conditional forward question that you have asked )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
lmuir
New Contributor

Ah-ha, so inspired by larger customers, I thought why not make Load Balance a pseudo anycast setup. Turns out, if you setup a weighted load balance and give the AD DNS the priority, and external DNS servers lower priority (in my case, I pointed it back to the FGTs internal IP) it works like a charm.
veechee
New Contributor

lmuir, Would you mind posting more details about how you did this? I have a satellite office with a read-only DC installed, but I' m intrigued by why you describe because I could load balance to the head office DC in case that server was down.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors