Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
soheil_amiri
New Contributor

DNAT and virtual IP

hi guys 

i am new in fortigate world, 

what is different between these two way of publishing a service :

1- publish a server with using filtering \services\HTTP

2- publishing a server using port forwarder

are both work the same way and manner ?

is there any technical benefit between them ?

1 Solution
boneyard
Valued Contributor

please change the second screenshot, it is just a lot of text code now.

as for the question, there won't be a noticeable difference on traffic handling i believe. there probably is a difference on a deeper level, but you would have to be able to look at the source code for that. i would guess that one get dropped earlier, but again for resulting behaviour no difference.

it does have an other effect though. the way with the filter make the IP address further unusable for other forwards to different IPs or ports. you have add HTTP for another port on the same IP, but if you want to also use the Virtual IP for port 25 to another internal IP then that won't be possible.

while with the port forwarding virtual IP you can make different connections on the same public IP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
boneyard
Valued Contributor

please change the second screenshot, it is just a lot of text code now.

as for the question, there won't be a noticeable difference on traffic handling i believe. there probably is a difference on a deeper level, but you would have to be able to look at the source code for that. i would guess that one get dropped earlier, but again for resulting behaviour no difference.

it does have an other effect though. the way with the filter make the IP address further unusable for other forwards to different IPs or ports. you have add HTTP for another port on the same IP, but if you want to also use the Virtual IP for port 25 to another internal IP then that won't be possible.

while with the port forwarding virtual IP you can make different connections on the same public IP.

soheil_amiri

thanks for your answer, 

here is both picture 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors