Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wraezor
New Contributor

DHCP on FGT

In small remote sites, we want to get rid of our dependence on static addressing, so DHCP seems like a no-brainer. We have one major criteria though: the DHCP server must do Dynamic DNS updates to our internal DNS zone on behalf of the client. Our clients don' t do it natively and we rely on IP addresses or DNS names for an ERP system. If we' re going dynamic with the addresses, we need the names working reliably. At this point, we' ve just been doing it in sites where we have a Windows Server because we knew how to do it with Microsoft DHCP. We' d like to now go beyond that if possible. 1) Is there any way to get the Fortigate DHCP to update DNS records for clients? I' ve looked more than once and have come up empty so far. 2) Alternatively, does the DHCP relay option work well enough over a VPN tunnel to be the only source of addressing in a site? We could potentially build a server with all the branch scopes here in head office. Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Can' t the window host update the DNS server directly? i know they have a ipupdater client-side apps that does this. Never used it B4.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
wraezor
New Contributor

In general yes, DHCP clients should and do update their own records. In this environment I' m dealing with antiquated thin clients mostly where client-side DNS updates are unheard of.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors