Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ahiyaz
New Contributor II

DHCP limitation

hi all

i know there is a number of configured dhcp servers per VDOM.

Does anyone know if this limitation is applied for DHCP relay agents as well?

thanks

1 Solution
ahiyaz
New Contributor II

FYI

just got the bellow answer from Fortinet TAC.

"

Hi,

after a short consulting it seems that DHCP agent max limit supposed to be is the same as the DHCP server limit, which on the 60E unit is standing on max 32.

Regards

"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Search for a document called the 'Maximum Values Matrix.' The limit depends on the firewall model. Larger units have larger pools, naturally. You didn't specify your model, so no one could answer that for you.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ahiyaz
New Contributor II

ive already checked that document but it only mention DHCP server and not DHCP relay agent.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Although I don't know the aswer but I would assume dhcp relay's limit is differnt from DHCP server's, which takes memory to do stateful operation.

I read somewhere the number of server IPs you can configure in a dhcp-relay was 8. And I would guess if there is any limitation exist, it would be the number of interfaces instead.

I don't think it's written anywhere. So you need to open a TT at TAC to ask. You might get a similar answer from them.

Dave_Hall

I agree - I could not actual find any info on DHCP relay agent limit, so I would assume any configurable interface will have it as a option.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
ahiyaz
New Contributor II

apparently, this limitation that was approved by forti support is not real.

ive tested with FG100E (256 dhcp relay limitation)

and more than 550 relay agents worked and forward the dhcp requests.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I would open a ticket again referring the old one to confirm the fact. You might need to get it escalated to one level up than the previous tier. 

ahiyaz
New Contributor II

FYI

just got the bellow answer from Fortinet TAC.

"

Hi,

after a short consulting it seems that DHCP agent max limit supposed to be is the same as the DHCP server limit, which on the 60E unit is standing on max 32.

Regards

"

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

That's an interesting finding. Thank you for letting all of us know.

bascheew
New Contributor III

I have a 60E with about 90 interfaces running DHCP relay.  Seems that limit is not accurate.

I just tried to move all DHCP to the Fortigate and hit the 32 DHCP server limit per VDOM.  Uggghh, I was excited to eliminate another device, but I guess that's not happening.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors