Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lyall
New Contributor

Custom Ringtones

The handsets (FON450i) reportedly support RTTTL ringtones. I created a text file, entered the tune, and saved the file. When I try to upload I get an invalid format. What extension should the file have? Since there is a 5 (custom) ringtone limit, how do I check or erase an existing tone? Are there changes outside of the standard specification we need to conform to (such as case-sensitive input)?
7 REPLIES 7
IronOakIT
New Contributor

I haven' t tried uploading custom ring tones myself. I' ll try to experiment with that today and relate my experience... I do notice in the documentation that the custom files have a 512 character limit. Are your uploads within that size limit? [>:]

Working with FortiVoice products since 2008

IronOakIT
New Contributor

I did try to upload a couple of simple files, and got the following error every time: Sorry, Failed to upload a user defined ring file! Check the file format and contents. The contents looks like this 205:d=4, o=5, b=100:e, e, e, 8c, 16p, 16g, e, 8c, 16p, 16g, e, p, b, b, b, 8c6, 16p, 16g, d#, 8c, 16p, 16g, e, 8p (which is the star wars Imperial theme, by the way - downloaded from somewhere) Also, I looked at the LG-Ericsson documentation for these phones and found a reference to the naming convention they expect: <name> := ten (10) character name, use Ring Type names, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 this can be found at: http://www.ericssonlg.com/global.support.retrieveDocumentation.laf?mid=3&sid=1&sCaId1=20040&sCaId2=20051&item_id=10462 and search for IP8800, 8815 and 8830 (for the 350, 450 and 550 respectively) keep in mind FortiNet (Talkswitch) rewrites the firmware, so not everything in these manuals will work for you, but they come in handy for understanding the hardware and interfaces to it, that are available.

lyall
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply. You are getting the same error I have been getting. Nothing seems to make a difference (spaces, no spaces, short name, exactly 10 characters, etc) The only change I have yet to try is to rewrite the tune without specifying the default (octave, duration, beats per minute) and using full definitions for each tone (duration, note, scale) Following the link at the bottom of a wikipedia page for RTTTL gets you to a site outlining the specification which shows my test tune has nothing out of bounds or undefined. http://merwin.bespin.org/t4a/specs/nokia_rtttl.txt The key point is that it is a specification for nokia rtttl. Has Fortigate conformed to a more official specification, or created their own?
lyall
New Contributor

Update: I managed to upload a simple two note file, saved as a .TXT extension and it worked. After some playing around with a longer tune I think it is pretty close to the nokia specification. Parts of Octave 7 appears to be out of range, so dropping the tune down to o=5 and speeding it up to b=160 now makes my ring tone work. My final test tune (the birdy dance, as requested by my office manager). I cheated a little and worked it out in scream tracker first, then creating it as a RTTTL text file. Every second tone is a pause to create the stacatto effect The long pause at the end is because the tones do not appear to have a pause between loops) Birdy:d=16,o=5,b=160:f,p,f,p,g,p,g,p,d#,p,d#,p,f,4p,f,p,f,p,g,p,g,p,d#,p,d#,p,f,4p,f,p,f,p,g,p,g,a#,p,a#,p,a,8p,32e,32d#,32d,32c#4,8p,32e,32d#,32d,32c#4,8p,32e,32d#,32d,32c#4,8p,32e,32d#,32d,32c#4,4p
IronOakIT
New Contributor

Your the man!javascript:void(AddText(' ' )) I guess the secret was to remove extra spaces in the text file, no spaces between commas or anywhere. I got your birdy.txt loaded and the star wars imperial theme to load. Note, to anyone else reading this, you have to reboot the phone once you' ve set a custom ringtone. After that you can change between the custom tones all you want without a reboot. now, to try and find something that sounds like a ring tone.

justwantcustomringty

First, I realize this is an old post, but I finally feel like I'm on the right track so I must ask...

Would there happen to be a forum post that tells me HOW to upload custom ring types that you speak of? FTP to the IP of my phone? Telnet? Is there upload software? I am not even sure what to search for online since there are so many forti-this fort-thats

Any references you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Back to the search...

adelineana

Good sharing, your Samsung ringtone is interesting

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors