Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Dan_Eng52
Contributor

Copying Managed FortiSwitch/FortiLink Config to New Firewall

Hi all, 

I hope you're well. 

I have a question surrounding importing previous configurations from an existing FortiGate to a new device. For example, if I have a FortiGate already configured with FortiLink and a number of managed FortiSwitches is it possible to import the switch-controller/FortiLink configuration from this device and have it apply to the new switches once they're connected and authorized on the new FortiGate? 

I already have a configuration of a deployed network and rather than build the new devices from scratch if there is a way to import this and make the required changes for the new devices this would be much faster and efficient. 

Not sure if this is possible or not, if anyone has any tips or tricks regarding this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards, 

Dan_Eng52

1 Solution
hbac

Hi @Dan_Eng52,

You can copy the configuration part from the CLI of the old FortiGate and paste it to the new FortiGate. However, if the existing FortiGate and the new FortiGate are different models which means it has different interface names, etc, you might get an error. Please refer to this article for manual conversion: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-load-convert-a-FortiGate-configurat...

Regards, 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dan_Eng52
Contributor

Anyone have any tips surrounding this? 

hbac

Hi @Dan_Eng52,

You can copy the configuration part from the CLI of the old FortiGate and paste it to the new FortiGate. However, if the existing FortiGate and the new FortiGate are different models which means it has different interface names, etc, you might get an error. Please refer to this article for manual conversion: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-load-convert-a-FortiGate-configurat...

Regards, 

mle2802
Staff
Staff

Hi @Dan_Eng52,
You can do that with FortiGate as long as same model and version. However, I would suggest FortiConverter for best result. For FortiSwitch, I would suggest to open a TAC ticket to better assistance.

Regards,

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors