Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mtumolo_73
New Contributor

Convert FortiNAC VM from VMWare to Hpyer-V?

Hi, has anyone been able to (or even tried to) convert a running instance of a FortiNAC appliance running in a VMWare environment to a Hyper-V environment?  We're looking to move away from vmware and I was curious if I could just move it like I did my windows machines.  Any suggestions / tips / words of wisdom are appreciated.

--mike

makatea
makatea
3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello

I'd do it this way:

1. Install a fresh instance on HyperV (must be the same version)
  2. Make a full config backup of the old FortiNAC
  3. Restore the backup to the new FortiNAC
  4. Test the new FortiNAC before the final swap

Hope it helps.

AEK
AEK
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

If the setup is still running on CentOS (v9.x), the VM hypervisor migration can be considered like a normal CentOS migration. If the setup is running in FortiNAC-OS than it's not possible to migrate the VM directly because now there are dedicated images for each hypervisor. A fresh VM need to be created and than to migrate the licenses (through Customer Services), the configuration and the database.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
Sx11
Staff
Staff

You can check this migration guide in case you will perform a migration from CentOS to NACOS when moving to Hyper-V: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortinac/9.4.0/single-appliance/836940/overview

sx11
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors