Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Geert_m
New Contributor

Configuring security profiles Fortigate

Hello,

I am planning to configure security profiles in some of the firewall policies that are on my FortiGate. My question about this is, if I need a valid/signed certificate installed on Fortigate and my hosts to inspect all traffic passing the FortiGate in order to inspect all data from packets and block certain traffic because it contains malware etc?

How does this work, can someone explain me?

Kind regards,

Geert

13 REPLIES 13
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @Geert_m ,

For example, if you want to use a web filter, you need to use ssl-deep inspection. if the website uses https FortiGate can't see the URL and URI because of that Fortigate can't block these websites. 

Or if you want to use app control on FortiGate some signature needs to ssl-deep inspection. You can see these signatures in the application signatures menu. If the signature has a lock sign, this signature needs deep inspection for recognized. 

For example image.png

If you use proxy-based inspection mode. Fortigate automatically does SSL offload even if you don't add a deep inspection profile on your firewall policy.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
hbac

Hi @Geert_m,

It only happens with facebook.com or all the websites?

Regards, 

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Geert_m,

If you are planning to use deep inspection, you will need to install a trusted certificate to avoid certificate warning. Alternatively, you can import the FortiGate build-in certificate to the browser. Please refer to https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-enable-deep-inspection-and-import-a...

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors