Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jomof
New Contributor III

Configuring new deliciated HA heartbeat for Redundancy.

Hello Expert,

I have two 400E in a HA cluster .

We use the default HA ports for Heartbeat interface but had to add redundancy using the lan port.(BR_DATA port8After reviewing numerous documentation we found that this was not best practice since the lan port is heavy use for data.

I would like to assigned a new deliciated port (24)  to be my  backup heartbeat and remove (BR_DATA (port8) but would need some guidance since this is a production environment. 

Also to configure port 24 as heartbeat port are there any special configuration need prior to it being assigned .

GuyOffice-1 (ha) # show
config system ha
set group-name "trans_amt"
set mode a-p
set password g==????Swdee
set hbdev "ha" 200 "port8" 100
set session-pickup enable
set override disable
set priority 200
set monitor "port8"
end

Thank you

1 Solution
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hi @jomof ,

If you don't make any changes to the Ha port on the same time, there will be no interruption. Because FortiGate will still continue communicating on the HA port.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW

View solution in original post

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @jomof ,

A dedicated interface is always suggested for the HA heartbeat interface.

When I reviewed your configuration you have also one more heartbeat interface (HA). Because of that you can remove port8 from the configuration and add Port24.

No need to do a special configuration for that. You just need to make sure that the new cable is connected to the same port to both devices and is up.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
jomof
New Contributor III

Sorry for the tardy response but this looks okay one more thing since this is production environment will i have any downtime?
Thanks 

Regards
PREVIEW

S

ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hi @jomof ,

If you don't make any changes to the Ha port on the same time, there will be no interruption. Because FortiGate will still continue communicating on the HA port.

jomof
New Contributor III

Hello @ozkanaltas ,

Thank you once again for your invaluable help.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors