Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mahmood_Fraidoon
New Contributor

Configuring Alert Emails with Gmail

Hello.. I am not able to receive alert emails. Basically we do not have an exchange server. We are using Gmail is our exchange server. I have entered the below details: SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com Email From: test@nfh.com.bh Email To: test@gmail.com I have tried enabling Authentication by entering my email ID and password and without Authentication. Both options didnt work for me and i keep on getting " Failed to send alert email from smtp.gmail.com to (test@gmail.com)" in my event log. please advise me.
5 REPLIES 5
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hello, Have a look at this: http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD33154&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_KCARTICLE_1_1&dialogID=50135454&stateId=0%200%2050133994

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Mahmood_Fraidoon

will it work with Hotmail?
billp
Contributor

Virtually all major online email services (such as Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) require some form of SSL/TLS encryption when connecting. Since the Fortigate doesn' t allow that, you are pretty much limited to using internal email servers or email servers from your local ISP if they allow non-encrypted connections. There are free smtp servers available that are less cumbersome than Exchange that you could set up on your network. Or, if you have some time, you could try to implement this work-around posted on the Google forums: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/apps/mail-settings/oCwPE2o_oCM The above solution requires having a separate computer running a program called Stunnel. I have found that most modern appliances allow TLS email connections, so I imagine this is somewhere on Fortinet' s list to fix.

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
Mahmood_Fraidoon

Thank you billp Stunnel worked with me. now i have to find a way to keep it running 24x7 as it closes when i log off windows.
thegreatwhay
New Contributor

Has anyone used E-MailRelay as an option?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors