Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
druber
New Contributor II

Configure secondary unit in active/passive HA?

I'm a little confused about how this is supposed to work.  I've found multiple articles describing how to configure the master unit, most of which (including the docs) tell me to reset the slave unit to factory defaults, but then a couple of the articles make a vague comment about 'then configure the slave unit', or words to that effect.  But the pictures shown are in the GUI, which I can't get to if there is no network configured.  If I *do* configure a rudimentary network (e.g. setting IP on a LAN interface), I'm not in factory default mode anymore, no?  Or does the slave unit show up on the HA screen, and I click on it and set various things?

Thanks!

druber
druber
1 Solution
sagha
Staff
Staff

Hi druber, 

Here is what you can do: 

1. Configure Master FGT as you like for HA. 

2. Then make sure you have connectivity to Slave FGT. This can be GUI or CLI access. 

3. You will have to just configure HA on the Secondary FGT. 

4. Once you configure HA config on Slave FGT, a sync between both FGTs will happens and based on HA config Master/Slave would be selected. 

5. You can configure something on LAN for both FGTs to gain access initially.

Hope it would be clear now. If you have more questions, update here.

Thank you. 

Shahan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sagha
Staff
Staff

Hi druber, 

Here is what you can do: 

1. Configure Master FGT as you like for HA. 

2. Then make sure you have connectivity to Slave FGT. This can be GUI or CLI access. 

3. You will have to just configure HA on the Secondary FGT. 

4. Once you configure HA config on Slave FGT, a sync between both FGTs will happens and based on HA config Master/Slave would be selected. 

5. You can configure something on LAN for both FGTs to gain access initially.

Hope it would be clear now. If you have more questions, update here.

Thank you. 

Shahan

druber
New Contributor II

I'll give that a try.  That's what I was wondering, but the examples I was reading never said that (it might seem obvious, but the warnings about factory reset made me wonder if *any* non-factory config might cause issues.)

druber
druber
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors