Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eclipse79
New Contributor

Configure fortigate to act as smtp relay server

Hello,

I'm migrating to fortiguard from a sophos sg utm. Since I have a large numbers of multifunction printers and other devices that requires email function, I actually points all of them to UTM ip address in order to send email (so I don't need to change passwords in all device when I change SMTP settings, I simply change it once on UTM). I cannot find the proper area of fortiguard in which I can configure it as a realy smtp server. Is it not possibile?

Thanks

eclipse79

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaSoliva
Contributor III

Hi

Sophos UTM as NGX Version can act as a MX gateway or also called as a relaying server.

FortiGate does not support MX gateway or relaying server. With FGT you can only "transparent" controll Mail traffic like SMTP traffic by AntiVirus, Antispam etc. no other possibilities.

hope this helps

kind regards

Andrea

GoDannY
New Contributor

little addition: you may want to consider a FortiMail VM as SMTP-Proxy or relays server. It is far more feature rich than a SOPHOS UTM/XG. 

Beyond that Fortigate - as already said - only support Scanning of passing through SMTP traffic with AV and AntiSpam.

TBC

Hello @All,

how ist that possible to use Fotigate as smtp-proxy / relays server for other hosts?

Many thank's in adanced

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors