Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
KennyLi
New Contributor II

Config Trunk Ports between Fortigate and Fortiswitch

Hi All,

I am suffering by the trunk port crash when two trunk ports plugged between Forigate and Fortiswitch

Environment: I am using 1x Fortigate 80F, 1x Fortiswitch 124F-POE and 6x FortiAP 431F.

The cable connections are below:

a. 6x FortiAPs are connected with 124F (Port 1 - 6) with PoE enabled

b. 80F is connecting with 124F as below:

i) Fortilink Ports: 80F dedicate Ports (a and b) connect to 124F (23 and 24 Ports)

ii) Trunk Ports: 80F (Port 5 and 6 ) connect to 124F (21 and 22 Ports)

The trunk port configured as:

i) MC-LAG: disabled

ii) Mode: Static

iii) Enabled Features: Edge Port and Spanning Tree Protocol

When I configured the trunk port and plug two cables to the port, all the port in the switch crashed, because I cannot ping the gateway in 80F as well as the FortiAP will lost the configuration and failed connect with wireless devices (no SSID showed). Only the network resumed if unplug one of the trunk ports.

I have tried but no luck:

a) Removed the Edge Port in trunk ports

b) Change to another ports as new trunk ports

c) Replace the Cat 6 cables.

Please can you help on this? 

Thanks

Ken

1 Solution
ebilcari

You have to create a normal VLAN on the Switch controller and assign an IP and a DHCP scope. Don't forget to enable Security Fabric Connection, this will allow the AP to build the tunnel automatically with FGT.

AP port.png

and make this VLAN as Native VLAN on the ports where the APs are connected:

AP-vlan.PNG

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

If you have already configured two ports as part of the FortiLink, why do you need to add another trunk?

FortiLink will be used to transfer user data and multiple VLANs if needed, the topology is shown here.

All the VLANs that are created in FGT> Switch Controller will be added automatically in the FortiLink interface.

fl-vlans.PNG

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
KennyLi
New Contributor II

Hi elilcari,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually I missed to mentioned that I tried to use two fortilink ports, but the devices connected with switch cannot ping the gateway in 80F. I have followed the instruction here, and followed the topology you provided.

There is a little bit different the screen you share with my side, please see attached for detail.

I think maybe I have config the devices inappropriate.

Picture 1: fortilink interface under FGT> Switch Controller

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.29.51 PM.png

Image 2: Fortilink under FGT>Network>Interfaces

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.28.40 PM.png

Please can you take a look and advice? 

Thanks

ebilcari

The configuration of FL is ok, mine just use a single port for it (port5) that's why it show differently. I see that you have only the built in VLANs created, you can go on and create the necessary VLANs and their IP configurations in WiFi & Switch controller> FortiSwitch VLANs

- Emirjon
KennyLi
New Contributor II

One more thing, I have created the SSID with the DHCP for the FortiAP, that connected with the Fortiswitch (Port 1 - 6), is it necessary to add the subnet/vlan to the fortilink interface? attached the settings below for your reference. Thanks again

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 11.42.30 PM.png

ebilcari

If you are using "Tunnel" like shown above than there is no need to create WiFi user's VLAN on the ports where the APs connect. Only the AP's management VLAN is needed to be configured on these ports 1-6, all the WiFi user's traffic is tunneled from AP directly to the FGT, FSW is transparent in this case. For SSIDs in bridge mode you need to span the VLANs on the AP port.

- Emirjon
KennyLi
New Contributor II

Hi ebilcari,

Thank you for your help.

I am not familiar on AP's management VLAN is needed to be configured for port 1-6, may I know how to do this? Thanks again

ebilcari

You have to create a normal VLAN on the Switch controller and assign an IP and a DHCP scope. Don't forget to enable Security Fabric Connection, this will allow the AP to build the tunnel automatically with FGT.

AP port.png

and make this VLAN as Native VLAN on the ports where the APs are connected:

AP-vlan.PNG

- Emirjon
KennyLi
New Contributor II

Thanks. I will try. 

and:

1. May I know the DHCP in VLAN conflicts with the DHCP setup in SSID?

2. I have some wired printer in the 192.168.1.1/24 network, is it still printable after change the settings?

Thanks again

ebilcari

For SSID in tunnel mode you have to use different subnets for the Wifi user's traffic (SSID) and AP management. It's not recommended but you can use an existing VLAN/Subnet to put the APs like the existing printer's VLAN.

For bridged SSIDs you can use the same VLAN of AP management to bridge the WiFi user's traffic but that is also not recommended.

- Emirjon
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors