Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
degwi
New Contributor

Collector Agent in an multi site AD environment, How to Authenticate Users?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up Fortigate as an Proxy/web-filter. For this, I have created Usergroups in our (2008)-AD and have installed DC Agents and Collector Agents (CA).

We have an Multi-Site Active Directory environment (about 25 AD-Sites), with AD-intergrated DNS and with one single firewall for all sites.

As soon as an User logs in, the DC-Agent will inform the CAs. The CA will do an (reverse) DNS Lookup on the Workstation/IP.

As long as the client is in the same AD-Site, the Lookup will work, but as soon as the client has its login Server in an different AD-Site, the DNS Lookup will fail in the beginning. after the AD-Sync, the Lookup will work.

This AD-Sync is set to the minimun time of 15-minutes, this means that the DC- Controllers will sync every 15 Minutes with its direct peer. (From the outer Leaf to the CA there is an Max way of 3 AD-Hops, meaning max 3 * 15 Minutes to Sync. But even one Sync cycle is to much.)

My Question is, who has an equall environment with multiple AD-Sites, and how do you Authenticate the Users? Also Using DC-Agents and collectors? Using a different Authentication method?

Thanks for the feedbacks

Willem

5 REPLIES 5
Wyzz
New Contributor

Why would the client use a DC not within it's own site?

A customised Forticlient (free) can do FSSO (FAC needed) and that works pretty good. We try to use it as primary method to avoid problems with roaming users (wired<->wireless), computers that go in standby,...

Even on top of that you could do a captive portal combined with a specific LDAP server.

degwi
New Contributor

Wyzz wrote:

Why would the client use a DC not within it's own site?

Hi Wyzz,

The client does use the DC within its own site. But the Collector Agent may/is in an different site. The collector Agent does the DNS Lookup on its local system, the AD-Sync will be timely later so the IP Record is not yet set for a new record. Finally the Fortigate is connects to the Collector Agent.

Wyzz wrote:

A customised Forticlient (free) can do FSSO (FAC needed) and that works pretty good. We try to use it as primary method to avoid problems with roaming users (wired<->wireless), computers that go in standby,...

ok, the Forticlient is free but the licences aren't. We do not have a FAC.

Do you manage the Forticlients with special Settings like URL-Filter for the mobile devices?

We have Forticlient in use for the mobile Users, but only the VPN Part is installed.

Wyzz wrote:

Even on top of that you could do a captive portal combined with a specific LDAP server.

I didn't get this? what is mend with this?

Thanks

Willem

Agent_1994

We have the same problem at a customer's.

Did anyone solved this?

degwi

Hi Agent 1994

No, I did not solve it yet.

I'm working on a solution with Forticlients as Wyzz wrote.

Reporting Login and IP changes (LAN-WLAN) to the Forti Authenticator server.

During my PoC I noticed that the client does not always notify the change from LAN to WLAN to the FortiAuth Server.

For this we opened a case at Forti. Still waiting on response.

romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi,

if you want a multi site setup to work fully troublefree, there is no way around using the Forticlient single-sign-on agent & Fortiauthenticator.

If this is not possible from a budget point of view.... there are some tips i can give:

- use dc agents on all dcs

- all dc agents point to the 2 collector agents (this does not generate that much traffic)

- do a proper group and "ingore user list" configuration (you don't want to monitor all those service accounts!)

- all firewalls receive authentication information from those CAs

- have proper filters on the CAs for IP filtering!!

- you can use additional logon retrieval options on the CAs (like for Exchange Servers, ...) have a look into the advanced section

Br,

Roman

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors