Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ChrisK
New Contributor

Client Devices Dropping/Not Connecting After Firmware Updates

I am by no means a network engineer, but I'm learning as I go...

I recently updated our FG100E, FortiSwitches, and FAPs to current versions and it has broken so many things, it seems. I couldn't say exactly what version I started off at with each device, unfortunately. I'd take everything back, if I could. 

I updated the FG to 7.2.4, the switches to 7.2.3, and the APs to 7.0.0 after confirming that these versions were compatible. I also followed upgrade paths for all devices provided. 

Currently, it seems like my APs have much less reach in regards to signal strength. We also have many printers and wifi thermostats that keep disconnecting. I can't tell if this is due to the signal strength or some other issue that I can't pinpoint. I also have a number of Windows devices with connection issues, now.

I have downgraded APs to 6.2.2 in an attempt to resolve this. No luck.

I have downgraded the switches to 7.0.6. No luck.

My next thought is to take the FG back to 6.2.x, but I just really don't know.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a way I can see what version I started off on and get back to that? 

12 REPLIES 12
FarinaAhmed
New Contributor III

1. Confirm compatibility: Verify that the firmware versions you updated to are officially compatible with your devices.

2. Review release notes: Check the release notes for the firmware versions to identify any known issues or required configuration changes.

3. Analyze signal strength and coverage: Assess the wireless environment for any physical obstructions or interference sources that may impact signal strength.

4. Configuration adjustments: Review and optimize the wireless settings on your devices to improve signal strength and coverage.

5. Device compatibility and drivers: Ensure that client devices are compatible with the new firmware versions and update their drivers if necessary.

6. Rollback firmware: If downgrading the firmware on APs and switches didn't resolve the issues, consider rolling back the FortiGate firmware to a previously stable version.

7. Capture logs and seek support: Capture relevant logs and diagnostics and contact Fortinet support for assistance, providing detailed information about your network setup and the issues you're facing.

Farina Ahmed
Farina Ahmed
FarinaAhmed
New Contributor III

1. Verify compatibility: Ensure that the firmware versions you updated to are compatible with your specific devices.

2. Review release notes: Check the release notes for the firmware versions to identify any known issues or required configuration changes.

3. Check signal strength: Evaluate the wireless environment for any physical obstructions or interference that could affect signal strength.

4. Review configuration: Verify and optimize the configuration settings for your FortiGate, switches, and APs, paying attention to wireless settings.

5. Device compatibility: Ensure client devices are compatible with the new firmware versions and update their drivers if needed.

6. Consider rollback: If downgrading the firmware versions on the APs and switches did not resolve the issues, consult Fortinet support for guidance on rolling back the FortiGate firmware.

7. Seek assistance: Contact Fortinet support, providing details about your devices and the problems you're experiencing, to get tailored guidance.

Farina Ahmed
Farina Ahmed
Faiza_Emam_Delhi
Contributor II

Upgrading firmware on network devices can sometimes cause issues with device compatibility and connectivity. Here are some potential causes and solutions for the issues you are experiencing:

1. Compatibility issues: The firmware updates may have caused compatibility issues between devices. You may want to review the compatibility matrix for each device and firmware version to ensure that they are compatible.

2. Configuration changes: The firmware updates may have caused configuration changes that are impacting device connectivity. You may want to review the configuration settings for each device and ensure that they are set up correctly.

3. Signal strength: The firmware updates may have impacted the signal strength of your wireless access points, causing devices to disconnect. You may want to review the signal strength settings for each access point and ensure that they are set up correctly.

4. Downgrading firmware: Downgrading firmware can sometimes cause issues with device compatibility and functionality. You may want to ensure that you are following the downgrade procedures for each device and firmware version.

5. Firmware version tracking: It can be helpful to keep track of the firmware version for each device in your network to aid in troubleshooting. You may want to consider implementing a firmware version tracking system to help with this.

It may be helpful to review the FortiGate logs and device logs to see if any errors or issues are being reported. Additionally, you may want to contact Fortinet support for additional guidance and assistance.

Thanks & Regards,
Faizal Emam
Thanks & Regards,Faizal Emam
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors