Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vishal
New Contributor

Checkpoint to fortigate migration

Hi All,

Need to migrate checkpoint to Fortigate using forticonvertor tool. Can anyone help me what are points i need to considered or prequiste i need to collect for smooth migration.

8 REPLIES 8
jintrah_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Vishal,

Please check Check Point Conversions | FortiConverter Tool 7.0.1 (fortinet.com)

best regards,

Jin

vishal

Hi Jintrah,

Thank you for your response. But my checkpoint  Smart console and gateway (firewall) are at R.77.10. I'm not finding any document to convert checkpoint configuration of above version using forticonvertor to fortigate.

Please share it if you have any.

jintrah_FTNT

Hi,

Should be done in same manner as other versions, Forticonverter 7.0.1 supports NGX R65 onwards, found in https://fortinetweb.s3.amazonaws.com/docs.fortinet.com/v2/attachments/012b3e07-7667-11ed-8e6d-fa163e...

best regards,

Jin

funkylicious

Hi,

For pre-R80 you would need, objects_5_0.C and Standard.W or rulebases_5_0.fws from $FWDIR/conf 

geek
geek
vishal
New Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Thus NGX65 means before 80.10?. As my management server and gateway both on 77.10.

funkylicious

To be honest, I had to google that and it appears that it refers to the version R65 which indeed is before R80.10 and R77.30.

geek
geek
maskabone
New Contributor

Hello all,

So I never worked with checkpoint FWs. I will do a checkpoint > fortigate migration and curios about some stuff in checkpoint. I especially would like someone that have done the same migration (from checkpoint > fortigate)

1. In Fortigate, to segmenting the firewall into several domains, we call them a VDOM. Basically a firewall inside a firewall (you guys probably know that already..). What is it called in the checkpoint world?

2. In the “Forti” world, we have fortimanagers that can manage several firewall from only one management plane which make it very easy to administer the firewalls (especially if you have like 10 fortigates). Do you call it “mds” in the checkpoint world? Does it work the same way as a fortimanager?

3. I read something about VPN communities. The checkpoint firewall do have a vpn community. Is that equivalent to something like SD-WAN? How does it really work?

I obviously already googled all of this but have a hard time to understand the documentation.

Appreciate all your help.

Tweakbox Appvalley https://vlc.onl/
funkylicious

1. VS-es ( virtual server ) in VSX deployment

2. SMS ( Security Mgmt Server ) if you want to manage them all from a single 'ADOM'-like wise in FMG, or MDS ( Multi-Domain Server / Provider-1 ) if you want to create 'ADOM's like in FMG for different reasons

3. SD-WAN is not necessarily related to VPN Communities. In Forti world you have hub-n-spoke, site-to-site, or remote-access in relates to VPN, whereas in CP world you have mesh / star 

geek
geek
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors