Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
boozely25
New Contributor

Changing the IP of a Hardware Switch

We have  60Es that have hardware switches. The ip addresses were assigne but the mask as 255.255.255.0.  Can I change the mask of theswitch to 255.255.255.255 without causing a loss in connectivity or bringing down a vpn tunnel? Also, if that is possible can I then assign a second port on that hardware switch an ip (192.168.1.11 255.255.255.255)?

I would test this out on my own but all the FW's I have to work with are in production.

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

A switch interface, consisting of multiple physical ports, is ONE virtual port. So, you can assign an address to it, and a secondary address as well. But these will apply to all physical ports of the switch at the same time.

But...a /32 address doesn't make any sense here. You need at least to have a subnet of 4 addresses to be able to communicate with one other device (next hop router, host or whatever). That is, a /30 mask at least.

What is your intent in using a 'host address' on a router interface?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
boozely25

I need to connect the device to a core switch on the internal side with 2 ip's from the 192.168.1.0 subnet(1.10, and 1.X) and on the external side I need to connect it to 2 different ELAN switches with each interface having an ip address in the 21.X subnet.

ede_pfau

and you think FGT and switch can communicate if the FGT has a /32 address??

Ede

ede_pfau

2nd part:

The FGT is a router. NO two addresses from the same subnet on different ports - one subnet per port.

On the same port, second address can be used as 'secondary' address.

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors