Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Storyteller
New Contributor

Captive portal and certificates

Today, without doing anything my captive portals does not work anymore.

Both IE and Chrome give me a message about wrong certificate but after I force a reconnect I cannot access to login page. 

The page seems expired (I think it is really expired because of IE and Chrome reconnection).

With Firefox I can add the exception and after that it works.

I suppose that IE and Chrome stops the session thinking about a Man in the Middle attack and ask me for a confirm. When I confirm they reload the page but the Captive portal session is meantime expired and the page is not reachable.

With Chrome if I try to open a HTTP site without HSTS it works (no man in the middle detection).

My two captive portals work on two private network 10.40.... and 10. 41.... and the portal is in these LAN. How can I solve my problem? I assume the computers connected being guest computer without chance to install some certificate or private CA auth. 

Graziano.

11 REPLIES 11
Baptiste

Hi,

In my case, with wired or wireless captive portal, the computer/smarpthone detect the captive portal and open a new tab in order to login. 

If it's detect by web browser, there's a top banner that indicate I need to login.

2 FGT 100D  + FTK200

3 FGT 60E  FAZ VM  some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E

2 FGT 100D + FTK200 3 FGT 60E FAZ VM some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E
boneyard
Valued Contributor

that would be a feature request for Fortinet sbuerger. im sure it is possible, downside is that people might keep trying a https:// website and nothing happens, that isn't very user friendly either.

the captive portal check with smartphones and windows 10 solves a lot of this indeed.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors