Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JonStarr
New Contributor

Cant stop FortiClient from starting on startup

I' m using FortiClient for VPN purposes only and dont need it running any other time. I cant get disable fortinet from starting on startup. Its getting very frustrating. I' ve followed this guide; http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD31776   But when I go to step 2 and try to uncheck FortiClient Service Scheduler and click Apply, it automatically re-ticks itself. Anyone had this problem or know how to solve it? We use Forticlient for corporate vpn and I' m having second thoughts now.

2 Solutions
AtiT
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have the newest version of FortiClient installed 5.0.3 on Windows 8 x64bit and this worked for me. 1) Right-click on the FortiClient icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown FortiClient. 2) go to command prompt and enter: net stop fortishield [ENTER] 3) RUN -> msconfig and go to services tab. Uncheck the service FortiClient Service Scheduler and [APPLY] - Do not restart the PC now. 4) RUN -> services and search for FortiClient Service Scheduler. Right-click -> Properties and change the startup type to: Manual. 5) Reboot It also worked on Win 7 32bit. Regards,

AtiT

View solution in original post

AtiT
ChrisFGT
New Contributor

Here's how to disable FortiClient daemon automatic startup on a Mac: Tested on: macOS 10.13.3, FortiClient 5.6.6

Reference materials: FortiClient Administration Guide FortiClient XML Reference Guide launchd tutorial

System changes made:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.fortinet.forticlient.credential_store.plist Change RunAtLoad key from true to false, and add false parameter below KeepAlive key...         <key>RunAtLoad</key>         <false/>         <key>KeepAlive</key>         <false/> /Library/LaunchAgents/com.fortinet.forticlient.fct_launcher.plist Change RunAtLoad key from true to false...         <key>RunAtLoad</key>         <false/>

A before/after comparison of running processes after reboot will demonstrate successful changes:

Before, with FortiClient auto-started (with leading columns cut out for ease of display)...

$ ps aux | grep -i forti | cut -d \/ -f2- Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/fctappfw Applications/FortiClient.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FortiClientAgent.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FctMiscAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/FctMiscAgent Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/epctrl Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/ftgdagent Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/fctservctl Applications/FortiClient.app/Contents/Resources/runtime.helper/FortiClientAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/FortiClientAgent Library/Application Support/Fortinet/FortiClient/bin/CredentialStore

$

After reboot, the same grep should return zero process results (other than your grep process), and the tray icon will no longer be loaded.

$ ps aux | grep -i forti

$

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
anderson_pa

thanks gr8jam, exactly what I was looking for.

I'm just using forticlient to vpn into work for occasional remote monitoring and don't expect to use it all that frequently. If anybody from Fortinet is reading, this sort of behavior from software is truly obnoxious and arrogant. Please don't assume users need or want your software running all the time. At a minimum, there should be an easy way to disable this from the GUI settings page. Better would be to additionally ask for permission first. I shouldn't have to waste 30 minutes tracking down an answer in the forums, or worse have to dig out the commands on my own if somebody else hadn't already done it.

UlasUymaz
New Contributor

Windows 10. Go to Services(Local). Right click on Forticlient --> Properties. Change startuptype to manual

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors