Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
otimme
New Contributor

Cannot run FCConfig.exe

Hallo all

As Fortinet has discontinued the VPN-Editor wich was used in the 4.x FC versions, I'm looking for a easy way to manipulate the FC configuration. We use the FortiClient for all our customer connections. For every client we have the IPSec XML part wich defines the connection (the part between the <connection></connection> tabs). There comes a commandline tool with FC called FCConfig.exe wich allows to export and import the FC configuration via commandline. But I'm not able to run it with our Windows 10 security settings, all I get is a 'access denied' error.

Is there a way to run FCConfig.exe with enabled UAC?

4 REPLIES 4
boneyard
Valued Contributor

I tried like this to export VPN config

FCConfig.exe -m vpn -f c:\fct.conf -o exportvpn -i 1

That worked, weirdly enough without flags i also get the Access Denied. with flags and trying to write to h: failed with the Access Denied. perhaps logical, for me quite annoying to figure out

marcbajo
New Contributor

Hi,

I have similar issue with this topic, I can run from Command line the FCConfig cmdlet but nothing happens when following with the vendor syntax, I'm not able to export and import configuration to create a package, did you have success on this?

boneyard
Valued Contributor

have you tried my syntax (also double check or just type the - this sometimes acts weird with copy paste)? did you try with building it yourself based on the help the command provides. as mentioned it eventually worked for me, but took some tries to find the syntax.

marcbajo

Thanks for your reply!

What has worked for me was something like this:

FCConfig.exe  -f c:\fct.conf -m vpn -o exportvpn -p xxxxxx

I don't know  what "-i 1" means for the command as it doesn't appear in -help

It's really disgusting the way this is done, the example commands didn't work, the outcome of the not successful tries is not well documented, even the gramar is not correct.

Now I'm able to export the VPN configuration but it doesn't work when importing to another machine, it says that the preshared key is not valid.

I'm really unhappy of the way this works (or not) as I'm responsible to create a Software Package trought SCCM and it's a pain in the ass.

I will keep searching why the app is not able to understand or encrypt/decrypt the key already configured during the process...

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors