Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
martyyy
New Contributor III

Can't see the IP address in windows DNS

FG is the DHCP server. FG DHCP is issuing IP correctly and we can see the IP. The problem is we cant see the IP address in wiindows DNS so we cant do an nslookup or resolve the PC name to IP.
I want to know if there is a config so that FG relay the DHCP info to windows DNS.

This is the article I'm looking right now. 

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-TIP-Different-options-of-configuring-DNS-serve...

TIA :) 

1 Solution
xshkurti
Staff
Staff

One solution would be to configure DHCP relay and set DHCP server in Windows machine. 
This way IP Entries from DHCP will be populated to DNS server.
Multiple DHCP relay servers | FortiGate / FortiOS 7.4.4 | Fortinet Document Library

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
xshkurti
Staff
Staff

One solution would be to configure DHCP relay and set DHCP server in Windows machine. 
This way IP Entries from DHCP will be populated to DNS server.
Multiple DHCP relay servers | FortiGate / FortiOS 7.4.4 | Fortinet Document Library

martyyy
New Contributor III

Hi @xshkurti ,

We dont really want to relay this subnet to win DHCP server hence looking if FG will update win DNS.
Let me know if this is possible.

Thank you :) 

pminarik
Staff
Staff

FGT cannot propagate IP changes to modern Windows DNS.

It supports dynamic DNS updates on behalf of clients, but not with the type of encryption that modern Windows DNS requires by default.

Realistically your only option is to configure your endpoints to update their DNS records on their own, and allow that in your DNS server. (or move to Windows DHCP and FortiGate only relaying, which you already rejected)

For the sake of completeness, here's the doc on how to do the non-secure dynamic DNS updates in a Win environment: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configure-DDNS-update-override-in-FortiGat...

[ corrections always welcome ]
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors