Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
chaivang
New Contributor

Can't connect Fortigate to Asus wireless Router

Hi guys, I have a FortiGate and an Asus wireless router. at present the ASUS wireless router is providing internet to our office and, now I want to connect my FortiGate between the internet and Asus wireless router to control the traffic but, when I connected my FortiGate to the wireless router both ports of two devices not up and even no detection. If test connection from pc to FortiGate and wireless to pc those ports up normal. I'm not that what I need to configure more and the FortiGate support with the third-party device or not. please, advise me to solve it.

Thank you.

1 Solution
pjawalekar
Staff
Staff

Hi chaivang,

1. Please validate if the arp is getting resolved when connected with the Asus router. 
get system arp 
If incase arp entry is not showing on the device you can check with sniffer logs what is happening with arp queries whether we are receiving the replies for arp query or not.
diagnose sniffer packet any "host x.x.x.x" 4 0 a    where x.x.x.x is the next hop ip for the Asus router.

2. Can you please check what is the duplex settings on the FortiGate and Asus router.

On Fortigate you can run command "diag hardware deviceinfo nic port_number" to validate the speed and duplex settings.

If you are observing duplex is getting negotiated to half duplex, and if the duplex is set to auto on the firewall port you can try to change the duplex settings manually to 100 full on both side and validate the port status.  I hope it will be useful for you.

Regrad's,

Pratik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pjawalekar
Staff
Staff

Hi chaivang,

1. Please validate if the arp is getting resolved when connected with the Asus router. 
get system arp 
If incase arp entry is not showing on the device you can check with sniffer logs what is happening with arp queries whether we are receiving the replies for arp query or not.
diagnose sniffer packet any "host x.x.x.x" 4 0 a    where x.x.x.x is the next hop ip for the Asus router.

2. Can you please check what is the duplex settings on the FortiGate and Asus router.

On Fortigate you can run command "diag hardware deviceinfo nic port_number" to validate the speed and duplex settings.

If you are observing duplex is getting negotiated to half duplex, and if the duplex is set to auto on the firewall port you can try to change the duplex settings manually to 100 full on both side and validate the port status.  I hope it will be useful for you.

Regrad's,

Pratik

chaivang

Thank you so much. It solved my issue.

Isaiah34654
New Contributor

FortiGate devices are designed to work with various network equipment, but compatibility can vary. Check Fortinet's documentation or support resources for any specific considerations when connecting FortiGate to third-party routers.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors