Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Daniel_Aguilar
New Contributor

Can't block Instagram and Youtube

Hello. 

I'm having issues to block the traffic from mobile devices, which I have them in two subnets: 192.168.106.0/24 and 192.168.107.0/24 

These are the rules that I have been set:

I have blocked in Application Control all the apps related to YouTube and Instagram.

I have blocked in Web Filter the categories Social Networking and Streaming Media and Download

Also I have static URL filter blocking the following wildcards

[ul]
  • instagram.*
  • youtube*[/ul]

But,  I'm still able to access those sites [&:]

My forward log reports successful access to this URLs:

[ul]
  • img.youtube.com
  • s.youtube.com
  • instagram.c10r.facebook.com
  • instagram.fbog4-1.fna.fbcdn.net
  • And some similar URLs[/ul]

I would appreciate your help to find out how to make a effective rule to avoid all those traffic.

Regards.

• 1 REPLY 1
    Dave_Hall
    Honored Contributor

Enabled Device Detection on your internal interface(s), so you can easily track where your lan devices are connecting to/with.  Then under FortiView, choose a device from Sources then drill down to that device's sessions - have that device access said sites to see what is getting through.

Though keep in mind that full deep packet inspection is needed if you want the Fortigate to inspect HTTPS traffic.  If you are only using certification inspection then you likely only see the CN or SAN.  Youtube uses Google's wildcard security certificate, so all you may see is *.google.com in the url filter logs. 

Edit: See also Google's QUIC protocol and how it can affect web filtering: https://www.fastvue.co/fastvue/blog/googles-quic-protocols-security-and-reporting-implications/  

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors