Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rb400
New Contributor

CPU spiked at 90% for about 5 minutes

F400 2.80 w/ 292 is there anything I can look at to determine why my CPU periodically spikes to 90% plus? is there anything on the F400 I can save / download to document same? thx, rb

[align=left]*auto-sig*   rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
[align=left]*auto-sig* rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
25 REPLIES 25
Not applicable

My F200 2.8 with all the different MR and builds also has this problem of high CPU utilization of above 90%. Sometimes it lasts about an 1hr, even though no one seems to be in office. i' m suprise that no-one response to this thread...
Not applicable

I' m evaluating a 400 2.80 MR7 and noticed yesterday that my CPU was pegged at 99%, I don' t know how long it had been that way, but within 30 seconds it was back down to the twenties where it usually hovers. -Scott
Not applicable

This happens when you update the AV. The CPU goes above 90%. Also when you try to add a URL on a big list (like 20000+) It takes some time to add the URL
Not applicable

But the high CPU utilization (>96%) lasts for 60mins....
Not applicable

Hi All---My shop has been using a Fortigate 300AHD with OS 2.8, build 292 for a little over a month and I' ve been practically ripping my hair out over this one. CPU spikes to 90% and above when users are working (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)---and it stays at 90% or above throughout the day--but then CPU drops significantly (10% or less) when users go home. For the past two weeks, I' ve been testing different settings on both outgoing Internet traffic (port 1-->port 2) and incoming SMTP / HTTPS / VPN (port 2-->port 1). Shop has about 230 users (100 on LAN, 130 on WAN via DSL over ATM to main shop). On outgoing traffic (to Internet), I have http, dns, tcp, smtp, ping, telnet , ftp, ETC enabled with URL blocking, IPS signatures (to block P2P, messaging, and other predifined signatures--which is working great, by the way), and logging enabled. On incoming traffic, I allow SMTP, HTTPS, and VPN traffic with AV, SPAM URL & IP blocking, SPAM banned-word, SPAM RBL & ORDBL and SPAM MIME headers configured with settings I manually entered. What finally dropped my CPU from 90% (and above) to 10% and lower was disabling all words in my " Banned-Word" list. I had words defined using Perl expression, such as " /banned-word/i" . I went back and did additional testing and found that my " Wildcard" configured words were fine, but if I added a banned word using Perl expressions, my CPU spiked. My banned word list only contained a dozen words. 5 out of 12 words were Perl-expression defined...using the " /word/i" pattern, pattern type=regular expression, language=western, where=subject, action=spam. It may just be coincidence or dumb luck that my CPU dropped after deleting my Perl expression banned-words, but thought I' d add my two-cents anyway. Good luck.
Not applicable

Coincidence. CPU spiked to 95% 30 minutes later. Sorry gang.
rb400
New Contributor

my F400 spiked for 2 minutes to 98% (redline). No updates were in process or scheduled...PUSH is " off" rb

[align=left]*auto-sig*   rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
[align=left]*auto-sig* rb400 << FGT (v6.2.x) [/align]
miblo_FTNT
Staff
Staff

To get a clue on what process causes the high cpu load you might want to try a command from the CLI. IIRC the command is ' diag sys top' , or the likes. It would be interesting to find out since we have a client with the same issue of seemingly erratic high cpu-load. ~Mike
Not applicable

Upgraded our Fortigate 300AHD to OS 2.80 build 320, 041216 Friday evening (1/21/05). 2 weekend days and 1.5 days of " normal" work-week activity, no CPU spikes (as of 1/25/05). It' s too early to tell if the problem has been solved completely, so I' ll provide feedback in a week or so. Side Note ======= When typing " diag sys top" at the console interface of our Fortigate, the process that had been plaguing our 300AHD (prior to the OS upgrade) was " thttp" .
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors