Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mike_Berube
New Contributor

Bricked fortigate 300A

Hello, I received a Fortigate 300A for a sister company and for whatever reason I cannot get it to boot. I think this unit was used as a backup unit for the main production one. I forget the term Fortinet uses for this. Anyway, when I turn the unit on the fans run at high speed and stay like that forever. Nothing on the display panel. I was wondering if there was any way around this to make the unit boot so that I can access it. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Any signs of life over the console port (serial)? If you don' t see any messages here during boot you cannot re-flash the FGT. Try 9600/19200/38400 baud, it might have been reconfigured. Without any boot messages ' bricked' would be the appropriate term then.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Mike_Berube
New Contributor

I’m green when it comes to console port serial access. Do I need to download some type of client to install in Windows to access via serial port? Is there a procedure somewhere?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

You must be waaay younger than me, post-modem age. In Windows, you' ve got the Hyperterm application. It' s rudimentary but it works. Google for Hyperterm PE or Hyperterm Private Edition if you want more bells & whistles. Create a new connection, using COM1, parameters 8-N-1 (8 bits, no flow control, 1 stop bit). Baudrate 9600 to start with (19200 and 38400 later). Connect the FGT serial cable to your PC' s serial port (COM1) and the console port on the FGT. Hit ENTER once to open the connection. Reboot (the hard way, power-cycle) and watch.
billp
Contributor

You must be waaay younger than me, post-modem age. In Windows, you' ve got the Hyperterm application. It' s rudimentary but it works. Google for Hyperterm PE or Hyperterm Private Edition if you want more bells & whistles.
Funny. Back in the 80' s we used to make our own serial cables with the help of a soldering iron and a Multitech breakout box Every printer and device seemed to have a different standard. If you have Windows XP, you can borrow the Hyperterm app that' s bundled with it -- you need hypertrm.exe and hypertrm.dll. They stopped including it with Vista and Windows 7, but it' s still compatible. . .and free. The newer versions are only available for a 30-day trial, I believe. The old XP version seems to work fine for basic serial port configs on the Fortigate.

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I didn' t notice that they ' upgraded' their program to now include SSH protocol. And of course leave the shareware sector. HyperTerm PE 6.3 is still available here http://www.brothersoft.com/hyperterminal-private-edition-247129.html and offers more functionality than the XP version while running on Win7 as well. BTW: the first modem I used was a 300 baud audio-coupler type.
Mike_Berube
New Contributor

It seems I have tried Hyperterm in the past because the application was expired on my XP test console. I downloaded Putty and tried to connect but the screen stays black. I tried multiple Baudrate and rebooted the fg every time. No pulse. Is there any possible manual reset in or on the box?
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Make a test with a working console (working FGT) to see if the cable is any good.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Mike_Berube
New Contributor

Yep cable works fine connecting to a working FG unit. There is still no connection to the 300A. So I guess it’s going into the dumpster unless anybody else has an idea. TY
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

That would be a pity, it' s not one of those little shoeboxes. IMHO it could be the power supply or trouble with the flash (card). With the internal PSU you could measure the output voltage(s) to see if it' s working at all. Roaring fans alone don' t make it. Maybe you could open the case and remove the flash and see if that makes her boot. If it does I' d replace the card (in other units it' s a (lame) CF card).
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors