Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Rede
New Contributor

Blocking Skype

Hello Guys, I would like to block some features of skype in my company, as is done in msn, you can release the chat and block file transfer, audio, video, but Skype does not have these options. Does anyone know how to make this block? Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Currently there appears to be only one app sensor signature for Skype and reading the wiki article on the skype protocol there doesn' t seen to be any open information on what parts of the skype API or data steam does what -- it' s pretty much a " block all" or " nothing" affair.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Rede
New Contributor

Does Fortinet will not get granular access as was done with the messenger? Anyway thanks for the help.
DirtyBlueshirt
New Contributor II

We' ve gone through this dance at our company. Microsoft doesn' t allow anyone access inside the Skype SSL-encrypted packets, and so far nobody has cracked them on their own. We researched Cisco' s newest ASA features, Juniper, and Palo Alto, none offer any Skype granularity. For now, it' s an all-or-nothing affair. If your company uses Microsoft Lync 2013 servers, you should be able to federate Skype into Lync, and then effect granular control over Lync.
--- Aaron Slater Security Analyst, Network Engineer, Part-Time Everything Else
--- Aaron Slater Security Analyst, Network Engineer, Part-Time Everything Else
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

A suggestive workaround if you only want to use Skype for the messenger part is to limit the bandwidth on Skype connections to the point that it becomes unattractive for p2p transfers. I can' t imagine anyone is humanly fast enough to type over ~1000-2600 wps. :)

Rede
New Contributor

thanks for the suggestion Dave.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors