Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tedew
New Contributor

Blocked traffic

Hello,

I have FGT cluster and connected to it 10 FortiSwitches by Fortilink - and it's working as should. 

I added new FortiSwitch, and strang issue I have. 

When I diconnect my laptop from old switch and connect them to new switch, link is up but no traffic is working. I mean i even don't recieve IP from DHCP.

But when I connect different laptop is working.

Is by default some MAC Address remembering on old Switch and don't allow use my laptop by new swtich to by use??  If yes is it possible to check , purge etc ??

Thnks 

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi

Does it work after 5 minutes?

AEK
AEK
tedew
New Contributor

hello,

yes, after 6-7 min is working.

can we change somehow this behavior ?? for example 2min ??

thanks

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Yes you can change MAC aging but this is not normal and this shouldn't be the solution.

The normal and expected behavior is when the switches detect a new traffic from the same MAC on another switch/port they update their mac address table immediately and all should works fine even if the mac aging is 5mn. This is the same for all constructors and I really don't think FortiSwitch is different (unluckily I don't have multiple FSW to test it). I hope some FSW experienced member will correct me if I'm wrong.

Just for test purpose (but it is not the solution) and to confirm this is actually the issue, you should be able to change the MAC aging like this.

config switch-controller global
set mac-aging-interval 120 (default is 500)
end

You can also check the MAC address location when you swap your PC to another switch/port to try better understand the behavior.

diagnose switch-controller switch-info mac-table

AEK
AEK
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors