Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Andonov
New Contributor

Blocked incoming emails when install forticlient

Hi, I have a strange issue with one of our forticlient on windows 8.1. When i install the forticlient all incoming email is blocked. I am able to send but not to receive. Here you have some information' s about my implementation. FortiGate: FWF60C Firmware: v5.0,build0252 (GA Patch 5) Any suggestions?
25 REPLIES 25
Andonov
New Contributor

Hi Chris.Lin, It' s a hosted pop3 server.
Chris_Lin_FTNT

Are you able to capture traffic between Outlook and the email server? Just curious why it failed.
Chris_Lin_FTNT

There is a FortiClient Diagnostic Tool here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRfvrAs_ZMdaVNXbFVLUEw3enc/edit?usp=sharing Can you run the tool and send the result to forticlient-feedback@fortinet.com ? They will take a look.
Andonov
New Contributor

I don' t have any other VPN setup on this PC except the Forticlient him self. The client will bring me back his laptop next week for few days and I will be able to install wareshark and the forticlient diagnostic tool. Ill keep you informed about my issue. Thank you!
ducachris
New Contributor II

Hi, Don' t know if it will do the trick but try to disable the Fortiproxy in the Registry : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Fortinet\Forticlient\FA_FORTIPROXY and put a " 0" instead of " 1" in the " enabled" value.
---------------------------------------------------- FG 100D HA a-a 4 MR3 Patch 16 FG 60B, 80C, 100A, 110C FA 200D --> 5.0.7 ----------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------- FG 100D HA a-a 4 MR3 Patch 16 FG 60B, 80C, 100A, 110C FA 200D --> 5.0.7 ----------------------------------------------------
Ertan
New Contributor

Okay, one of the computers I installed FortiClient in Free mode (no FortiGate connection) is having exactly same problem. Now, investigating the problem. Will put additional information later.
theputter
New Contributor

I ran into this a couple weeks ago. I was looking to move my IPSEC VPN over to the fortigate. Everything seemed to work fine until everyone got home and stopped being able to send or receive email. Apparently the forticlient is attempting scan these connections through it' s real time protection engine, even though you may have everything turned off the client still does it. There are two way I have found to solve the issue. 1. Disable the proxying all together within the Forticlient. Settings-->Disable Proxy 2. What I got from Techsupport was Settings-->Backup Use a txt editor to manually disable the pop3 and SMTP Real time Protection Look for </real_time_protection> <email> <smtp>1</smtp> <pop3>1</pop3> By changing these to a 0 this seems to resolves the issue. Then save the file. Open the forticlient and Restore your saved config file. All I wanted was a simple IPSEC VPN Client, no scanning or filtering. So this was just fine for me, but may not work for you. Earlier versions of the Forticlient had the option to only install the VPN portion. It' s rather frustrating that they changed the client to now require installing all these extra " features"
Ertan
New Contributor

All my installs are standalone. No FortiGate at all. I first Shutdown FortiClient using tray icon right click. Checked for incoming e-mails. It worked in my case. So I run FortiClient diagnostic tool on that system. That took about 5-10 minutes to complete. I then re-run FortiClient doing nothing in configuration files and no rebooting the system. Checked for incoming e-mails. It worked in my case (I just couldn' t understand what fixed the problem at all) I then rebooted the system. No change on config files, again. I checked if Outlook is ok. It was OK. I then shutdown the computer, waited some minutes. Re-open it. Try to see if Outlook is working, yes it is working. Several trials on reboot and shutdown/re-open, nothing unusual now. So, I am not sure, only logical explanation I can think of is FortiClient Diagnostic Tool is automatically fixing some very basic errors in config files. That computer has no problem now. Btw, I checked registry for key given above by ducachris, no such key was present in that system. Not even close.
Ertan
New Contributor

Today I am informed that Outlook cannot receive e-mails, again. Seems like what happened is temprorary. If I find more, I will post here. Will it be of help if I send FortiClient Diagnostic tool compressed file to support e-mail?
kolawale_FTNT

If not using the Web Filtering feature, consider disabling Proxy from the settings page. Otherwise, report a new issue through Fortinet support.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors