Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Roman_Gelfand
New Contributor

Block Source IP based on Incoming HTTP traffic

I have published web server to wan. I am blocking http traffic based on url using web filter. However, this still generates traffic. Is there a way to block a source ip after a number of times a blocked url is requested? Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES 2
Roman_Gelfand
New Contributor

Firgured it out. I used both web url filter ans ips custom signatures searching for the pattern produced by web url filter block web page.
Randy_Redekopp

Hi Roman. Sounds like you' re doing something similar to what I want to be able to do. Each day, I see numerous (as in 1000' s) of invalid login attempts on my network through our RemotApp web interface. This is just for staff, not for the public at large. I see this in the security log of the target machine. There are usually a dozen or so IP addresses that these come from each day. I have been noting the IP that the requests are coming from and then I add to policy rule which blocks incoming and outgoing traffic to that IP. This works but requires manual review, and only occurs after the attempts have been running for a while (I have an alert set up on the event log for when an account is locked out from too many invalid login attempts). I know this is not a good way to do this but don' t know how to do it any other way. Do you see a way to accomplish this? I figure if an IP address is attempting to log in and are unsuccessful after XX attempts, I am OK to permanently block that IP. If it turns out to be a valid user then they can advise me and I' ll remove that one, but at least I won' t have to manually go through the logs after the fact, and the attempts will be halted before they' ve had many attempts. Thanks -Randy-
-Randy-
-Randy-
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors