Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
xkalib3r
New Contributor III

Binding Address Objects to Specific Interface

Hi All

Just a general question to get some different points of view.

What are your thoughts on binding address objects to a specific interface? Is this necessary? Are there any security risks in specify interface as "any"?

I won't go in to detail regarding the issue I am currently facing, but suffice to say that if I used interface "any" at a client HO and branch sites, my problems would go away. Since I got involved in fire-walling many moons ago, I have always assumed that binding addressees to specific interfaces is best practice, but this issue got me thinking why this is the case...

Regards

FCNSA

FCNSP

FCWS

NSE5

NSE7

FCNSA FCNSP FCWS NSE5 NSE7
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

actually, binding addresses to interfaces is a good idea IF the implementation in FortiOS was better. If you manage a huge number of addresses it may be quicker to select suitable ones when creating policies. But, as you've noticed already, if need arises to reassign an address from a specific interface/port to another one FortiOS leaves you in the ditch. This case happens more often than one thinks.

So, in consequence, I never associate address objects with a specific interface.

If I could just edit the address (which costs time anyway) and change the interface, even to 'any', then I'd probably use the feature in large installations. A lot of If's.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I never  bind object to a interface but one good benefit you can't craft a wrong policy if the object is bound to a interface. So let's say you   have a objectA bounded to interfaceA  you can craft a policy for objectA to interfaceB

Also one more set back, you can use a "ANY" interface in a  fwpolicy so that could be a negative with  object+interface binding.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ponder
New Contributor III

I always bind objects to a specific interface or zone.  I can't say I ever even thought about not doing that and leaving it as 'any'.

interesting point

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors