Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sethadrian
New Contributor

Bandwidth is consumed and not recovering when windows update is triggered.

Hi Guys,

Need your help on this.  I have a FG100D with two ISP connections configured to perform LLB.  Firewall is working okay except at point when servers and allowed PCs are doing windows update.  It seems that the Bandwidth is exhausted even if the windows update app control is shaped to 1Mbps.  Worst part is even if the update is already downloaded, the bandwidth does not recover and continuously exhausts resulting to slow internet connection.  also I am seeing a session clash log under system events.  Anyone have fix on this? need help.

Regards,

Seth

16 REPLIES 16
sethadrian

hi tanr,

i am just quite confused with your first statement.  so let's say I have an ISP connection of 10up/10down CIR.  When i update windows on PC obviously the 10Mbps download would be consumed.  Now after the update is downloaded and PC begins its sharing state, Should it be the 10Mbps upload that would be used and not the 10Mbps download?

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Sorry, that first paragraph should have said "...effect your bandwidth going to and coming from the internet."

Per my second paragraph, I agree that seeing the download bandwidth continue to get used up after all the Windows updates have been downloaded doesn't seem to make sense.

Might be time for a controlled experiment with some Windows 10 PCs with the P2P update turned off to see if they have the same effect.  Or just packet captures and Wireshark, which is where I hand off to somebody who can read them!

sethadrian

tanr,

your third statement is actually my next plan.  TAC is asking me to upgrade it since the version that it is in (5.2.3) has bugs as stated.  I'm planning of combining the windows update sharing option with the upgrade and see if that works. I really appreciate much on your responses.  I will update the good news if I come to that. :)

sethadrian

Hi tanr,

firewall is now working properly.  it looks like the upgrade firmware worked out the bugs.  I just want to let you know since your suggestions helped a lot too.  thank you for the support. :)

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Glad to hear it!

sethadrian
New Contributor

tanr,

this is good stuff you just gave me.  I have one question though, if in case the P2P update sharing on network is enabled, should it be internal network's bandwidth that should be consumed and not the bandwidth that is going to the internet?  seconde question, assuming that PC A have already received the windows update and is ready to share these updates outside of internal network and send it who ever receives it,  should it be the upload BW that should be consumed and not the download BW? analyze further on your response.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Hi Seth,

I believe the default Windows 10 setting gets updates from and sends updates to PCs on both the local network and PCs outside your network.  So I would expect it to effect your bandwidth going to the internet.

You make a good point in your second question.  If all your local PCs are fully updated, I wouldn't expect them to be actively downloading more.  Hopefully they're not downloading updates that your local PCs don't need but that other PCs in your area are requesting.  Or getting inundated by requests from those other PCs.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors