Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sirma504
New Contributor

BGP is flapping Hold Timer Expired to AWS

Hello community,

A few weeks ago we migrated the AWS vpn from static to BGP, and since then we have noticed that there are several Hold Timer Expired messages received “IP AWS”. I have checked physical cables, and connectivity and there are no problems. The problem is also not due to saturation because it occurs at night when there is no staff working.

What else could it be, or if anyone else has had this happen.

3 REPLIES 3
abarushka
Staff
Staff

Hello,

I would recommend to check whether there were HA fail-overs / IPsec tunnel went down around the same time (if applicable).

FortiGate
Alexandria
New Contributor II

If you're experiencing Hold Timer Expired messages after migrating to BGP for AWS VPN, and physical connectivity seems fine with no saturation issues, it's worth investigating further. Check for any misconfigurations in BGP settings, such as mismatched timers or router IDs. Also, ensure that AWS VPN configurations align with your BGP setup. It's possible there could be issues with AWS infrastructure or routing policies causing the flapping. Consider reaching out to AWS support or consulting with networking experts for further assistance...

epb
New Contributor II

FWIW, I've seen this exact same issue last night and the night before to two separate AWS regions. Each time, both BGP sessions of an HA tunnel dropped for over a minute. There's no record of any AWS maintenance occurring during either event, but this is fairly suspicious. 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors