Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
chrisn
New Contributor

Assign user to device (smartphones)

Is there any way to assign a user to a device? I have the FSSO agent installed on our domain controllers, and all our Windows devices are correctly reporting a user. However, we allow employees to connect their phones to our network. So I would like to assign users to the phones as well, for better reporting. Currently, over half of our traffic by user is "Other", and I'd like to assign a user to each device to get that number down.

1 REPLY 1
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Not sure that your mobile devices are capable of being domain members, and therefore seen in FSSO as usual workstations.

However you can have standalone or FAC based Collector set up the way they listen and monitor also MS Exchange logons, and therefore if user from his mobile device connect to his mailbox using domain credentials. Then that logon can be spotted and user's device, regardless it's not domain machine, can be seen in FSSO.

Another way is device discovery turned on FortiGate port and pure device based policy made. Could be as strict as that only registered devices can pass pushing users to get their devices known by admins and network firewall.

Alternatively you can set it up old way using DHCP and assign IP only to known devices and then do source IP based policy for known devices only. Sort of semi-static IP where single well known device will always get the same IP form DHCP server.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors