Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Anyone know anything about the " Virtual Desktop"

.. it was listed in the release notes (which I managed to find weeks before the MR7 release during a Google search), but wasn' t listed in the actual release notes when it was publicly release. Now I notice it' s on the ftp site for download - no readme.txt or docs of any kind, I installed it and have no idea what it' s meant to be (as it appears to hang when I run it) - has anyone heard of what this thing is? TJ
3 REPLIES 3
grindcore888
New Contributor

i had tested both SSL standalone and the VirtualDesktop, standalone is self-explanatory, the virtual i ran on xp pro/sp2 and basically once you launched the apps, your current desktop/background will be changed to a ' virtual' sort of liek another user' s profile but with greyish background image with some pattern (sort of) next pops your IE logon. once you close the browser, it switches back to you original background.
Kevin_Ericson
New Contributor

The newly posted " SSL VPN User Guide" now includes some additional information about this new feature. This feature was designed to address the issue where even though you are VPN' ed into a private network and all communications are encrypted you can still have a lot of " messy" stuff (i.e. - unencrypted) snippets laying around. The virtual desktop is all memory based so any certificates, keys, passwords, etc. will ONLY be written to this virtual desktop. Once you break your VPN connection and exit the virtual desktop all remnants of your session will go away. Kind of cool but I can' t help but think that it' s guaranteed to confound your users with the whole concept.
Kevin Ericson, Pres., FCNSP Certified Fortinet Engineer Deadbolt Security Networks 9791 W Stanford Ave #5D Denver, CO 80123
Kevin Ericson, Pres., FCNSP Certified Fortinet Engineer Deadbolt Security Networks 9791 W Stanford Ave #5D Denver, CO 80123
Kevin_Ericson
New Contributor

BTW... you can download the new " SSL VPN User Guide" here... http://docs.forticare.com/fgt/techdocs/FortiGate_SSL_VPN_User_Guide_01-30007-0348-20080718.pdf
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors