Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Already waiting on 5.4.2

Well, based on what I am hearing from others, it seems 5.4.1 is a dud.

I haven't pushed it onto my home 92D yet but I am probably going to sit back and see what others are saying before I decide to do so.

Here comes the "When does 5.4.2 hit? thread" LOL!

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
9 REPLIES 9
pcraponi
Contributor II

LOL

Regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I really cannot understand why there's so much fuss about this release. Everybody knows that v5.4 is bleeding edge and if you bear responsibility for a productive network you stay with v5.2. Heck, you even have the choice to employ the solid v5.0 in a mature high patch level.

Perhaps posters on this forum are naturally biased towards criticism- why post if it just works? Otherwise we'd read more often that 'even' v5.4 is working in a lot of respects. Recommend reading the 'Bugs fixed' section in the v5.4.1 Release Notes to get a faint notion of how much work Fortinet has put into it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

I use this forum to voice concerns, ideas, and other things that come to my mind that relate to Fortinet and their products. Obviously, based on my post I am NOT running this on production. It is simply making conversation which in turn engages people and keeps this forum alive.

dedmonds_FTNT

MikePruett,

If and when you upgrade your 92D to v5.4.1, be sure to read the "Special Notices > FortiGate and FortiWiFi-92D Hardware Limitation" section of the release notes.  It contains VERY important information about a new command and its behaviour.  Basically, the switch chip behind port 1 to 14 is not as advanced as other models and has limitations.

As of writing this post (4:20pm June 9, 2016), an updated copy of the release notes with the above section had not been posted.  It will be shortly.

omega

Hmm. I was waiting for 5.4.1 because we started a new environment just when 5.4.0 was out and thought it was safer to start with 5.4 right away instead of lifting a production environment from 5.2 to 5.4 later.

pcraponi

ede_pfau wrote:

I really cannot understand why there's so much fuss about this release. Everybody knows that v5.4 is bleeding edge and if you bear responsibility for a productive network you stay with v5.2. Heck, you even have the choice to employ the solid v5.0 in a mature high patch level.

I understand your point of view. But I think that the "fuss" are more about the time between the releases that the bugs itself.... Fortinet delayed 6 months to release a patch after a GA firmware... which other vendor do this same strategy?

Here on the forum, there are several experts, but think about the normal users that access support.foritnet.com website and think that the latest version is the best one? How many tickets on TAC are opened every day about bugs that are fixed 1 week after the GA release on interim builds but we only get it now after 6 months? This is the point here...

Think that Fortinet start to launch the "E" models that only support 5.4 branch.... when you can use these models in production environments? .. the jokes on 5.4.1 thread were funny, but the problem is very serious...

Regards,

Paulo R., NSE8

Regards, Paulo Raponi

Regards, Paulo Raponi
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Paulo,

all true but all seen before...do you remember the introduction of the D series, and how we had to wait until v5.0.6 or so was released one year later to be able to sell it? I agree that firmware stability is a problem with FTNT which is not seen with other vendors to the same extent (HP, Cisco).

After the v5.0 desaster they promised that the v5.2 line would be bug fixes only and no new features, whereas v5.4 would get all the new bling-bling. This is not the case today as we all know.

My disappointment was about how v5.4 (already flagged as 'bleeding edge', 'non-productive only') draws critizism which IMHO v5.2 would deserve. Maybe the linkage to the new hardware line is (again) a bad idea as it moves v5.4 into the focus.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Yeah, nothing worse than having a new product released that you have to sit on until you get to where the firmware catches up haha.

micahawitt

Or at least deploy a new product that runs the old stable firmware.....

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors