Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eric_angel_TDOC
New Contributor

Allow access to specific YouTube channels on a Fortigate

I am new to the Fortigate and firewall worlds, so pardon my ignorance, but I am looking for the proper procedure to setup access to specific YouTube channels, and what I mean by the proper procedure, I mean what all has to be enabled or disabled in the various sections (Web Filters, Application Control, SSL/SSH Inspection, etc) for it to work.  I have setup the rules on the WebFilter to allow specific YouTube channel ID's, I have tried to allow YouTube access on the Application Control and even used custom signatures that I have found on the internet, but nothing seems to work. I either can't get to YouTube at all or I can get to all YouTube.  

I work in a environment that content from YouTube absolutely must be restricted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Youtube uses Google's wildcard security certificate, so connections to that site (and associated local traffic) will be encrypted.  In this regards, you will need to use full (Deep) SSL inspection.  

See also Differences between SSL Certificate Inspection and Full SSL Inspection.

I never tried the newer method (re YouTube Channel Filtering) outlined here. But expect full SSL inspection is needed here too.  

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors