Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pham_Phu_Cuong
New Contributor

Alert on certain condition in Report module

Hi everybody, I'm using FAZ-VM64 v5.2.3. 

I want to configure it to send email alert when the used bandwidth exceeds certain value.

In general, the requirement would be sending alert email on some condition that aggregates the data over a time window. Something like the report module, but instead of sending reports periodically and the user have to look for problems himself, just send the notification for a predefined problem.

You guys get my idea?

I have spent time researching and looking into the dataset and macro of the Report module but there is no place to set the alert email.

Any idea anyone?   Thanks, Pham Phu Cuong

1 REPLY 1
CrisP
New Contributor III

Hi Pham,

The Event Manager does not offer bandwidth calculation events, so you cannot use it to get real-time notifications like for security events.

In my opinion, you should use a free snmp monitoring tool like Cacti, as you can monitor traffic on interfaces and set trigger levels to get email notifications. In case you need traffic granularity information (like for instance the total bandwidth consumed by a list of hosts), all you can do (again, in my opinion) is to use CLI scripting on the FAZ. You can define a dedicated report and run it periodically from the script, then use the data files containing the results in order to trigger your own event and notifications. Complicated, yeah!

Good luck,

Cris

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors