Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
keven11
New Contributor

Adding a UniFi AP to Fortigate with VLANs

I have done the following to setup a FortiGate 60E with a UniFi Nano AP so I can have WiFi for some networks but looking for some advice if its done correct so far...

Created separate VLAN interfaces Office (VLAN ID 50) & Guest VLAN (VLAN ID:70) with dhcp and assigned each to FortiSwitch interface.

Created a firewall policy for the VLANs to WAN (internet access).

Plugged in the UniFi AP to Switch Port 2 & assigned the native VLAN as Office and allowed VLANs as Guest

From this point the Desktop UniFi controller (on my laptop on the Office network) can see the Access Point / adopt it and the AP has gets an IP from the Office range. However I am wondering should the AP be independent from any of the VLANs?

I know how to create the SSID's and VLANs / tags within UniFi but I am just concerned if the AP should have an IP from the Office range or if I need a seperate network and just allow through ports so controller can manage it?

Whilst its a UniFi AP my query is more around the FortiGate setup side so posting here hoping someones come across this?

https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/
2 REPLIES 2
GDiFi
Staff
Staff

Typically it is best practice to have a separate management vlan for access points and other network equipment.  This helps prevent issues with broadcast storms, arp poisoning and dhcp spoofing that could potentially happen on a vlan that is used by client computers.  You want the management traffic from the aps to the controller to not have any interruptions from client traffic issue.

pa_iva
New Contributor II

Hello keven11,

The setup that you have right now will work, however as a best practice and if you plan on expanding your Wi-Fi network in the future with more AP's, you should use a dedicated VLAN for the AP Management. You can create and use the Management VLAN as native, and tag Office and Guest.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors