Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Waynem1966
New Contributor

Adding New APs: Use Fortigate Controller Or FortiCloud?

We have sold may Fortigates, but are just now deploying our first FortiAPs. Should we be setting these up using the controller on the Fortigate, or should we use Forticloud?

What are the pro's and con's of doing it either way?

If I set them up on the Fortigate, will they show up in Forticloud automatically?

I'll be posting this on the FortiAP and Forticloud forums as I'm not sure which would be best :)

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

That's a question to myself that I want to figure out. Obvious difference is:

Cloud Contoller      :     FG Controller       

doesn't need FG  :  needs FG

latency higher        :     lower (if local)

no limit(?) for num of APs   :    limit per model

accessible frm anywhere w/o security concerns :  might pose security issues to make it accessible frm anywhere

anybody can access if knows email address/password : can close down accesses easily

troubleshooting might be difficult because AP is the only thing you can troubleshoot with : can run some debug commands at FG without getting into each AP

I haven't compared the features side-by-side yet. But I'm assuming almost identical except the debugging features at the last point above. I personally prefer FG as a controller but smaller/older models don't support many APs (tunnel mode) so I started looking into FortiCloud.

JamieSLH

I currently have 5 221C APs (on Various Fortigates)

If I register them to Forticloud, do I lose any manageability from FortiGate?

I guess I'm asking it it's one or the other, or if I can use both FortiCloud AP management AND Fortigate AP management?

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie

Jamie
Toshi_Esumi

I believe "either-or", not "both".

Toshi_Esumi

I might not have carefully read your post. Of course you can put some of APs on FortiCloud while leave the rest or FGs for management. I meant one AP wouldn't be managed by both methods.

JamieSLH

toshiesumi wrote:

... I meant one AP wouldn't be managed by both methods...

This answers my question.  I guess I'll just stick with the FortiGate management processes...

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors