Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Frankfrnak
New Contributor II

Activating 7.2.4 VM Evaluation "Error 60" Invalid product model

Hi,

I wanted to test 7.2.4 VM on ESXI.
For my current and wanted setup, i wanted to add a NIC using PCIE passthrough of ESXI to the VM i downloaded, because i wanted to use a VLAN on my Nic so that i can get PPPOE. I Have my SFP in that NIC. I Got my PPPOE config to work using the CLI, so i currently can ping fortiguard servers or any other outside destinations using the execute ping command.

When i go execute vm-licenses

I get : 60 - Failed to request forticare license. Failed to download VM license.

But when i am using Diagnose hardware sysinfo vm full
i get
Valid : 0
Code : 202,

If i do it from the GUI i get a message bottom right which says : "Licence invalid product model"
My guess is because i kind of tempered with the VM adding a passed through nic but i hoped i was wrong, confirmed, or that it would be made possible.
My current number of physical interfaces is 2, i do respect the CPU and ram limitation (even tried lowering the ram to 1536 in case pcie did something). and i have 1 more logical interface which is my vlan, i'm unsure if it counts though, and i've let the default ssl.root and other .root interfaces because i doubt they'd count when activating..
Support directed me to the community forum because they wont support evaluations even though i'm a partner, so i guess no one is going to tell me : so yeah i've found your request in fg servers for activation and its bogus because of "...".
If anyone can help... i'd be pretty happy, next step i'd rather not take is bridge my isp's router and forget about passing through the NIC but that would require me to do some re-wiring and i'm happy not using their router at all..

1 Solution
Frankfrnak
New Contributor II

Allright, on the fortigate download page for the VM you have two options, if you read quick, like everyone does, the poor desing of the download page will let you download fortifirewall, which cannot be activated, if you scroll lower, you'll get the product for which you clicked on in the precedent page, which is fortigate and can be activated for eval.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Arrival
New Contributor

I have the same issue

Frankfrnak
New Contributor II

Are you trying to install it with pppoe too? I think I'll try to activate tonight putting it in DHCP under my pppoe router and see how it goes 

Frankfrnak
New Contributor II

Small update : I've tried changing fortigiard connection from https to UDP, didn't work. I've removed my passthrough NIC and only configured my pppoe vlan, still the same result. I ping fortigiard servers but I get invalid model. Also Fortinet won't help because evaluation product is not supported. Good luck testing the products if you can't get it to activate and get no support for it. I guess they want me to ask my boss to get me a NFR though I thought a VM would be a good lab, but it's kinda restricted I guess.

kpapastamatis
New Contributor

same issue here also.

fortibill
New Contributor

Same problem here.

Frankfrnak
New Contributor II

Allright, on the fortigate download page for the VM you have two options, if you read quick, like everyone does, the poor desing of the download page will let you download fortifirewall, which cannot be activated, if you scroll lower, you'll get the product for which you clicked on in the precedent page, which is fortigate and can be activated for eval.

AlttiAnonim

Hi,

This is correct answer - today I download correct image and everything work as good as it supposed to do.

Thanks!

firnas

Hi everyone , Frankfrank is right. me too had done same mistake and re corrected my mistake after reading his answer. 

Thank you so much frank..

image.png

dexterolu

Thank you for sharing this useful, information.

Joshua Ogunmefunn
Joshua Ogunmefunn
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors