Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
AlexFeren
New Contributor III

Access to "/tmp/pl" file

Commands like 'fmpolicy print-adom-object', 'fmpolicy print-adom-package', 'fmpolicy print-device-database', 'fmpolicy print-device-object', 'fmpolicy print-prov-templates' have an option to redirect their output to 'Output file name', by default, '/tmp/pl'.

However, I'm not able to find documentation on how to retrieve or use this file. Anyone?

1 Solution
scao_FTNT
Staff
Staff

We will improve this diag command and add export function for next patch release

Thanks

Simon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
scao_FTNT
Staff
Staff

We will improve this diag command and add export function for next patch release

Thanks

Simon

AlexFeren
New Contributor III

[strike]Answering my own question: use 'fnsysctl cp /tmp/pl /usb' to copy file to USB disk.[/strike]

It seems I made a mistake... fnsysctl isn't working in FortiManager (but is on FortiGate).

scao_FTNT

by the way, normally we just use console access software to log the screen output (save to its log file), which might be easier?

Thanks

Simon

scao_FTNT

I mean just without that "output file name" for "exec fmpolicy print", this is optional, and without a file name, it prints output on screen

Thanks

Simon

liviu
New Contributor

Dear all, the /tmp/pl file can't be accessed? I have to use the solution but looks like the output from the screen is not complete and I try to see the file saved on /tmp/pl. Do you know how to see it?

My commands:

1. execute fmpolicy print-adom-object RO_Admins "firewall address" all - show just last objects, not all

2. execute fmpolicy print-adom-object RO_Admins "firewall address" all /tmp/pl - save the file on tmp director but I cannot go there, how to export this file?

Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hey liviu,

- there are options to get into the underlying Linux shell, where you could then get to the /tmp folder (and export the file via scp, or view the file with 'cat' or similar)

-> you have to enable shell access and set a shell password to do this

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiAnalyzer/Technical-Note-Enable-Secure-Shell-in-FortiAnalyzer-...

-> This is for FortiAnalyzer, but also applies to FortiManager (including current versions as of writing, 7.0 and 7.2)

As an alternative:

- you can connect via PuTTY or a similar program and log the output to a file

-> FortiManager should dump all objects, even if you can't scroll back far enough to see all of them

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
liviu

Dear Debbie,

I just manage to obtain the output. I used putty to log all sessions and after to save the entire file. Your suggestion was good and helpfull. Thank you again!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors