Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MontanaMike
Contributor

AP-Fail

Good morning,

Since upgrading to 7.4.3 on my 601E firewall cluster, my AP's (only 9 of them) keep dropping offline with no good explanation in the logs that I can tell.  I never had a problem with the previous version I was at which was 7.4.1.  A reboot of the AP (either by resetting the POE on the switch port or by unplugging and plugging back in) will bring the AP back online and connected with clients but then randomly (could be hours or days later) it will drop back off.

My Fortigate cluster is stable (no HA changes) and seems to be normal.  The APs are all 221Es running 7.4.2 firmware.  The only log entry I see that seems to be related to when they drop is:

Action ap-fail
Reason Control message maximal retransmission limit reached

Profile resv-dflt-FP221E5519035229
Physical AP ap-2b-public
Mesh Mode mesh root ap
Message Failure happened on AP ap-2b-public.

I did find a document (https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiAP/Troubleshooting-Tip-After-a-failover-FortiAP-devices-fail-...) and increased the timeout on the Fortigates so we'll see how that goes but I didn't have to do that on the previous versions.

# config wireless-controller global

set max-retransmit 15

# config wireless-controller timers

set echo-interval 100

Any help would be much appreciated. 

-Mike

-Mike
1 Solution
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @MontanaMike,

It seems to match a known bug ID 0955764. However, you need to open a ticket to verify if the matches or not. 

Regards, 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @MontanaMike,

It seems to match a known bug ID 0955764. However, you need to open a ticket to verify if the matches or not. 

Regards, 

MontanaMike

Do you have a link to the description?

-Mike

-Mike
hbac

@MontanaMike,

You can refer to the link below and look for Bug ID 998578

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.3/fortios-release-notes/236526/known-issues

Regards, 

MontanaMike
Contributor

Fortinet Support got back to me and confirmed the bug.

"Dear Customer,
   Thanks for contacting fortinet. I am looking into this ticket and will be happy to assist you with it. 

With regards to the issue you are seeing, this is a known issue tracked under bug 0955764, where fap 221Es are losing connection to fgt on 7.4.2/7.4.3.  Engineering has looked into this issue and they have been able to root cause. The issue will be addressed in 7.4.4 fortigate/fortiOS release. ETA for 7.4.4 is around 3rd week of April, 2024.

Engineering has suggested either of the below workarounds for now.

1 Downgrade of the fgt to 7.4.1 release.
2  OR rebooting the APs which are seeing the issue to bring the APs back online.

Please let me know for anything.

Thanks and regards,"

-Mike

-Mike
MontanaMike
Contributor

Interesting thing is of the 9 APs I have attached to the Fortigate cluster, only about 1/2 of them keep dropping off and have to be rebooted.  I've increased the timeout on the Fortigate and have checked the physical layer for any issues which appear to be fine.  All the APs are the same model (221E) so I'm curious as to why only 1/2 drop off.  I don't think it's traffic either because when they do, it's usually when no one is around to connect to them.  i.e. the middle of the night.

-Mike

-Mike
hpdcomputercenter
New Contributor

Thanks! So glad I found this thread. We've been having the exact same issue with our 224Es. Every day I come in, and several of them are offline. I think I'll wait for the new FortiOS rather than downgrade.

JaxonHess
New Contributor

Thanks for helping me out as well. You saved me, and now I also want to help you with your writing work. If you are a student and find it hard to write your essay or don't know how to make your resume properly, now you know where to https://canadianwritings.com/ go. I used their service so often that now it feels like the one and only place for students. I like them.

MontanaMike
Contributor

One thing that has helped me is creating an automation notification for when the AP "leaves" and "joins" so I get an alert when it happens.  If I happen to be remote I can log into the POE switch and reset (or turn off then on) the POE for the port of the AP affected and that essentially reboots my APs.  I do have a couple APs that are on a non-poe switch using injectors so those have to be manually (unplug, plug in) rebooted.

hope they come out with the updated firmware soon.

-Mike

-Mike
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors