Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MontanaMike
Contributor

AP-Fail

Good morning,

Since upgrading to 7.4.3 on my 601E firewall cluster, my AP's (only 9 of them) keep dropping offline with no good explanation in the logs that I can tell.  I never had a problem with the previous version I was at which was 7.4.1.  A reboot of the AP (either by resetting the POE on the switch port or by unplugging and plugging back in) will bring the AP back online and connected with clients but then randomly (could be hours or days later) it will drop back off.

My Fortigate cluster is stable (no HA changes) and seems to be normal.  The APs are all 221Es running 7.4.2 firmware.  The only log entry I see that seems to be related to when they drop is:

Action ap-fail
Reason Control message maximal retransmission limit reached

Profile resv-dflt-FP221E5519035229
Physical AP ap-2b-public
Mesh Mode mesh root ap
Message Failure happened on AP ap-2b-public.

I did find a document (https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiAP/Troubleshooting-Tip-After-a-failover-FortiAP-devices-fail-...) and increased the timeout on the Fortigates so we'll see how that goes but I didn't have to do that on the previous versions.

# config wireless-controller global

set max-retransmit 15

# config wireless-controller timers

set echo-interval 100

Any help would be much appreciated. 

-Mike

-Mike
1 Solution
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @MontanaMike,

It seems to match a known bug ID 0955764. However, you need to open a ticket to verify if the matches or not. 

Regards, 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MontanaMike
Contributor

Interesting to note:  7.4.4 has been out and there is no mention of bug ID 0955764 in the release notes.  I chatted with support and they said that engineering must not have fix the issue however after applying 7.4.4 to my main cluster I haven't had a 221E AP disconnect.  It's been almost 2 weeks and so far, so good.

-Mike

-Mike
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors