Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
micahawitt
New Contributor III

50E/51E

Anyone have one of these yet?  Looking to upgrade from a 40C.

A little skeptical with this new line, I don't want another 60C type product on my hands here...

Just looking to see reviews, stable, good, bad, ugly....

3 Solutions
seferkayar

cryptochrome wrote:

I've been using a 51E for the last couple of weeks and while I am generally happy, I had a few occasions where the box entered conserve mode. Even though we only have very few users here (less than 5), but we always have between 1000 and 1500 sessions. I am not sure whether this could be a bug in FortiOS 5.4.0 (memory leak?) or whether 2 GB of RAM are just not enough.

Hi

FortiOS 5.4.1 has been released. I see that it is released on 8th June. There is a resolved bug about entering conserve mode as below. It may be your occasion.

Service : FSSO

Bug ID :302908

Smbcd continuously requests for memory; this causes the system to enter conserve mode.

View solution in original post

bartman10

Oook.. Why would you down vote facts! Fact is they shipped a product with a major feature not even working! Screwed me around for months with bullS@##$ gathering logs and playing with level 1-2 support. If you had spent the months fighting with support about this while they make you feel like you are the only one in the world having this problem only to find out they know about it.. you'd maybe have a slightly different opinion of the situation. So yes.. all the while I've got a project in remote office that is behind schedule because I have a defective firewall. Sent back that untested junk and got a 60D.

BTW.. my ticket is still open with support.. let me ping the guy and ask if it's resolved yet. Last time I asked, 5-20, it was still not.

So down vote me all you want! I've come on here as a service to other users to prevent them from having to go through what I went through with FN support. I can't even imagine why anyone would down vote that.. but what ever. 

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
micahawitt
New Contributor III

I have to agree with bartman10 here.  I find I have slowly been migrating over to Cisco Meraki for what my needs are for my clients.  We could sit here all day and do pros/cons, I feel that Fortinet is releasing things that seem to be more and more flaky. 

It is confusing to me that as a company like Fortinet, I dont need the flashy gui, something normal, yet how is it that with the lines of code, how can you deliver a product that you support all these features, yet seemingly cant have them all on on some products as the hardware will flake out.  Engineer your products to handle it, or have some of the lower models not support it if all it will do is go into conserve mode.

I don't need the flashy gui, I need a working product.

Since I have change one of my clients to full Meraki Solution, VPN times between sites have gone from a 150+ms ping time down to an average of +15-40ms which has made VOIP Cisco phones respond much better.

45 REPLIES 45
hklb
Contributor II

Hi,

Not yet.. but i know there is a CPU in 5XE, you need to wait if you want SOC3.

If it's urgent, takes a 60D... stable and tested..

Lucas

FGTuser
New Contributor III

It's good that it's CPU not SOC.

SOC boxes really suck regarding UTM performance.

Lesson learned with 60D and 90D....I will never ever buy SoC box. I will never ever buy box without SSD. Period.

E.g 80D is cheaper than 90D and real performance is from different universe.

Now cheap 51E released...seems to be moreless equal to 80D performance, at least what datasheet "stories" say.

Looks promising...

bartman10

I've had 2 FWF-50E's so far. They look like they will be great units.. but both of them show errors on WAN1 interface when running "diag hardware test network" and will hard lockup/crash. Serial is even locked.

Only noticed this when I took the original one home for testing. That night while playing a video game the unit hard locked 2 times. 

Other than that... what do you want to know?

edit: and yes I'm working with support. My original one has a SN in the 40's so it has to be initial run. The RMA has SN in the low 200's so it could still be initial run.

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
qxu_FTNT

On which build you encountered hard lockup/crash when run "diag hardware test network" and could you post errors shown on your box?

James_G

I have 4 x 51E on order to run IPS on a couple of smaller wifi public access networks - so will see how they perform.

But have to say the SOC based units are amazing value if you are not using IPS, GB throughput with no latency from 60D.

Mikael_A
New Contributor II

Good stuff. Only negative side is the GUI of 5.4...

But damn, running 2 Cortex A9:s ? Hello 2009

storaid

Mikael.A wrote:

Good stuff. Only negative side is the GUI of 5.4...

But damn, running 2 Cortex A9:s ? Hello 2009

WHAT???...

you mean 5xE small-box??

FWF60D x2 FWF60C x3 FGT80C rev.2 FGT200B-POE FAP220B x3 FAP221B x2

FSW224B x1

FWF60D x2 FWF60C x3 FGT80C rev.2 FGT200B-POE FAP220B x3 FAP221B x2 FSW224B x1
Mikael_A
New Contributor II

Yes

jli_FTNT

bartman10

We found wifi lockup issue. Do you want to try the special branch image if you're Fortinet SE.

Sorry for the inconvenience for this bug causes

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors